Sunday, April 20, 2008

The summer wind came blowin' in...

If you're reading this from Toronto, haven't we had the most beautiful weekend!? It's suddenly summer, but without any of the humidity and smog alerts. There's the hot, bright sunshine and a lovely warm breeze. Ahhhh... makes me want to spend money!

Yesterday I headed downtown with the boyfriend. He went off to get a massage because he's suffering from some serious back pain (If anyone needs a great RMT in Toronto, let me know. We've got the best.) and I wandered along Queen West - the shopping mecca for people who make less than six figures. Sadly the strip has turned into a bit of an outdoor mall, with only a few independent stores mixed into the usual fare, but the area still has lots of flavour and it's quite the scene on a sunny afternoon. I knew that my day held the potential to purchase, because this change of season means that I need:

a) Sunglasses (I left my last pair at the gym, I think...)
b) Shoes (See my Friday post)
c) Some summer tops to match my array of summer skirts

I have some extra money coming in during the next couple of weeks, so I felt that it was okay to see what was out there. I managed to snag some sunglasses right away. Normally I get really weird and hung-up about sunglasses. I refuse to pay more than $15 for them, because I don't have the patience to treat them with kid gloves and I have a tendency to lose/break them. Oftentimes I will obsess over which pair to buy, which is really unlike me. I am a decisive person and a decisive shopper! Anyway, yesterday I tried on a pair that were fine, saw that they only cost $7.90 and therefore marched straight up to the cash. Phew! One thing down. (And at a bargain price!)

*Note to my kind friend who offered me a brand new pair that she'd quickly fallen out of love with - Thank you so much for the offer, but the weather sort of demanded I act on the issue as soon as possible.

After another hour of wandering and half-heartedly trying things on, I settled myself in at one of our favourite sushi places and ordered some udon soup while waiting for the boyfriend. He not only joined me for lunch, but he also picked up the tab! Sweet. (I picked up our tea and treat tab a little later.)

We somehow ended up at the mall, where I found a pair of metallic flats to replace the cheapies that have already seen two summers. (Did I mention how smelly they are? It's sort of horrific.) These shoes were not cheap, but they were a good name and they were comfortable. (At least, I think they are. Wearing them around the house, I'm not so sure...) I think I'm going to keep them. I think...

Two things down!

The third thing proved to be more difficult than I'd hoped. Particularly because my fave place to buy tank tops - a cheap chain with lots of basics - CHANGED their tanks this year! They are now thinner, making them better for layering, but not as good to wear on their own. They're also more of a racer-back tank now, which isn't good for me, because I don't own a racer-back bra!

(I can't even get into the whole undergarment issue. After finally getting a couple of professionally-fitted, quality bras a couple of years ago, I can't even conceive of wearing something from a mall chain. Trust me - the difference is phenomenal!)

So, I'm not sure what I'm going to do about tops, because I usually work these cheap tanks into several outfit options. But t-shirts don't really stand up past one season. Particularly if you perspire alot...which I do. Hence my need for new ones.

All in all, a less spendy day than I pictured, but spendy nonetheless.

Today the money went to food. Groceries, don't ya know.

Total debt: $8715
Spent today: $37

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails