Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Eating like the rich folks!

Today, besides being my lovely sister's birthday, is the anniversary of the boyfriend's and my third date. Three years ago tonight we went to a Moroccan restaurant for dinner and walked around endlessly in the chilly spring night before he finally kissed me on a bench and stole my heart. (Dates one and two were also good, but I wasn't convinced... Date three was the clincher, so I long ago decided that it would make a better anniversary.)

To celebrate, the boyfriend took me to dinner, only he wouldn't tell me where we were going. It was a good surprise!

After some confused wandering - he hadn't been there in years and was a bit confused over exactly where we were headed - we arrived at a Japanese place in Yorkville. Now, if you are not familiar with the Toronto landscape, Yorkville is where the richie riches shop and where the celebrities hang out when they're in town. It's pretty much grand central station for star gazing during the film festival every fall. As you may well imagine if you are a regular reader of this blog of frugality, I don't spend much time there.

Anyway, the restaurant had cooking tables - big, family style tables where the chef will come out and prepare your food right in front of you. It's like dinner and a show, all rolled into one yummy event! (The proper term is teppanyaki, which is sort of like dinner theatre, but without the sets and with fewer medleys.)

It was so fun and unique, since I had never experienced anything like that before. The chef was a Japanese version of pre-Katie Tom Cruise in Cocktail, tossing pepper shakers around and juggling lemons. All very impressive.

The last time the boyfriend was at the restaurant, William Shatner sat at his table. I told you - rich people! Tonight the place wasn't very busy, being Tuesday and all, so there was only one other couple at the far end of our table. She had a Chanel purse and they both ordered Kobe beef...at $130 EACH!! Can you imagine? I'm sure it tastes fabulous, but COME ON! Hero Burger tastes pretty damned impressive too, and it's only $6.

The boyfriend had delicious chicken teriyaki and I had super tasty shrimp. It was a perfect meal...and the two combined, plus my glass of wine, didn't even cost HALF of what one of their strips of beef cost.

As we headed out, drunk on the fantasy of eating out in Yorkville, we wandered into a rich person grocery store to look at what rich people buy. We discovered baby kumquats, black and white striped pasta, and the biggest cuts of beef I've ever seen. (What is it with rich people and their beef?) We indulged in a coconut cream souffle to bring home for dessert before heading to our stretch limo...and by stretch limo I mean the subway. Know what? That $5 souffle was only just okay. We were happier with our run-of-the-mill frozen yogurt. Take that fancy supermarket!

Total debt: $9315
Spent today: $0 (Yep. Spoiled girlfriend, right here!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's funny, i have such vivid memory of you and i walking along the street and you telling me about the bench, lol. Guess you were right that day, it WAS a good date.

p.s. i seem to be commenting on your blogs a lot today.

Related Posts with Thumbnails