Friday, March 14, 2008

Such a long journey

Thank goodness it is finally payday. It feels like my debt has been stalled for a really long time, but today I finally got to make a decent payment. Not a spectacular payment, but a decent payment. Psychologically I need to see the number keep going down. I still feel like the debt is a ridiculously tall wall in front of all the things I'm ready to do in my life.

I know many of you don't think I should see it that way. That I could get married and start a family despite my debt, but I just can't see how that is a good decision. If I look at it logically, which is the only angle I'm trying to use now, those things would just cause me to go deeper into debt. Plus they would cut into the amount that I can currently pay on my debt. So I would forever be in the red.

I don't want to be that person! I want to have an emergency fund. I want to save up to take an honest-to-goodness vacation, rather than just charging an entire getaway and not dealing with the receipts until I get home. I want to buy a house with the boyfriend - the operative word being WITH. One day I'd like to have a car. I don't think I'll ever get a new car, because they depreciate so quickly, but a new-to-me car. And I don't think those are unrealistic goals.

And should anything ever go wrong between the boyfriend and I (Knock wood, each and every one of you!), I want to make sure I have two financially secure feet to stand on.

So I'm working on my big freelance piece, which is big enough that I'm not actively looking for any other freelance stuff at the moment. Should something come my way - great. But I'm not going looking for it. I am, however, just starting to pursue another side job that could bring in a bit of extra cash. We'll see how that works out.

All that said, I am giving myself a little extra in my weekly budget this week. I have a friend in from out of town to celebrate her birthday and we have many out-of-house plans that involve a bit of spending. However, she treated me to the movie tonight! I have such lovely friends.

Total debt: $9520-ish
Spent today: $14.56 (Lunch and dinner out)

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails