Monday, March 3, 2008

Back to basics

Oh the drama of my teeth continue.

It turns out that dentists are really unhappy when you don't let them do the first part of your root canal. When I let my regular office know that I'd gone to the emergency clinic, I not only got a call saying they'll fit me in as soon as possible (tomorrow!) for the rest of the root canal, but I also got to speak personally to the dentist that I hadn't seen on Saturday, who assures me I should never have to go to an emergency clinic.

Whatever! They were going to make me wait a WEEK before my root canal. Perhaps if I hadn't held it back and just let myself cry at the counter on Saturday morning when they imparted that information, like I wanted to, they would have been more accommodating. Anyway, I'm playing nicely with them now because I just want the rest of the work done as soon as possible and with as little pain as possible.

Oh, but there is bad news.

Turns out that I only have "basic" dental coverage. Meaning that if I get a crown, it won't be covered. I will need to shell about $1000 out of my own pocket.

I don't really understand this. If my dentist says it's something I need, rather than something I want, why isn't it considered basic? It's not like I'm having a whitening treatment or getting braces or bonding. I'm going to have to ask some more questions tomorrow, because it really doesn't make sense to me.

So now, rather than being excited to do my taxes so I could hopefully make another payment on the student loan, I am anxious to do them so I can hopefully pay off this little adventure in dental surgery a bit sooner.

Thanks goodness that trip to NYC was already cancelled, because if I was just getting around to cancelling it now, I'd be totally bereft. As it is, our sad little alternate vacation of a couple of nights at a fancy hotel in Niagara Falls might also need to be reconsidered.

One day, I swear, this will all be over. It just seems so very far away still.

Total debt: $9990 and a bit (Interest!)
Spent today: $0

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

*ouch*

Sorry to hear that... if not Niagara Falls - take a look at some B&Bs in lesser known places like Port Hope or Coburg - we stayed at some lovely places that were not nearly as pricey plus less busy.

Have you called Health Insurance re: Crown? One thing to keep in mind too is that you can claim medical expenses if they are in excess of 3% of your salary. It's not perfect but I admit it's a godsend if you have a lot of medical costs.

Good luck - AL

Related Posts with Thumbnails