Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Always look on the bright side of life

A few happy money moments today. For a change this week.

#1. I figured out that my $1000 crown will be half covered by insurance. (I'm not letting myself believe it 100% until I actually see the return.)

#2. The wonderful boyfriend has decided that he's going to add the crown to the interest-free loan I have with him. Very good news, so I don't have to miss any big loan payments.

#3. I filed my taxes and I managed to save about $400 of what I had put aside to pay taxes, so that money went right on my credit card, to pay for some of non-insured parts of all this dental activity. (I would have rather put it right on my loan, but at least it's helping out in other ways.)

#4. I booked a big freelance gig! A nice, lucrative piece that will complement both my portfolio and my pocketbook. Phew! So there will be a big extra payment on the loan probably late April, early May. Yippee!!

#5. An idea I had recently about how to earn some extra money is slowly taking shape. I have high hopes that it will work out and that I'll enjoy it. I'll keep you posted.

Meanwhile, as if you haven't heard enough already, I remembered another story from my crappy trip to the dentist yesterday and I wanted to share it:

So the hygienist and I are discussing what colour they are going to make my crown and she uses the opportunity to sell, sell, sell. Namely tooth whitening. And maybe it was because I was already not enjoying the whole experience, but I totally had an Aha sort of moment. Which is that there is NOTHING WRONG with the colour of my teeth! My teeth are the colour that teeth are normally supposed to be.

And suddenly I saw the whole damned beauty business for what it is - a money-making scam to kill everyones self-esteems so that they have to SPEND to feel better!

(Not that I totally don't buy into it most of the time, but there is no way in hell that I'm going to spend my hard earned money to make my teeth blinding to people around me. I don't think anyone with any worth in this world thinks LESS of me because I have normal coloured teeth.)

That's my rant. And I'm totally going to go and wash my face and then apply my anti-aging cream now, just to be a total hypocrite. (But I'm out of eye cream... I can't fit it into the budget!)

Total debt: $9990 and a bit.
Spent today: $0

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the gig! I'm sure that must be a relief...

And yes, I love your teeth just the way they are.

Bisous!
AL

Anonymous said...

You know, paula begouin says that eye cream is the BIGGEST waste of money. That there isn't anything in it that you can't get in your regular face cream. So there you go, knock one more thing off your shopping list.

Tammy said...

Thank you, both of you.
Everyone is so nice to me!

Related Posts with Thumbnails