Tuesday, July 29, 2008

What's the story morning glory? What's the word hummingbird?

I forgot to tell you guys that I'm getting a new phone. Now before anyone gets up in arms over unnecessary electronic spending, let me explain.

My phone is a bit of a dinosaur. It's over 4 years old. Maybe over 5. And sadly, that makes it ancient in the current electronic landscape. It doesn't flip. It doesn't have a colour screen. The rings are not multi-tonal. It weighs more than 3 credit cards taped together.

But it has been so good to me. When others have complained that their fancy chocolate razor phones won't ring in the middle of downtown Toronto, I have pulled out my trusty (and sturdy) phone to get the job done. It once rang while I was sitting on the subway underground at Bloor Station. It gets great reception up north when we're visiting the DP's mom and his phone can't handle the pressure.

However, it's finally breaking down. If I put it down on a desk, the shock will kick the whole thing to some scarily coded screen that can't be reset unless I remove the battery. And it randomly turns itself completely off. Sunday, waiting for my brunch date, it happened twice during conversations. So I knew we had to part ways.

So I put in a pleasant call to Telus, because I also wanted to lower my rate plan. I don't use my phone a whole lot, so I don't want to pay for what I'm not using. Ideally I'd like to have a pay as you go plan, but until my contract runs out in April, I'm stuck. Anyway, they managed to give me a plan that seems to be IDENTICAL TO THE ONE I ALREADY HAVE that is about $4 less a month. I sort of feel dumb that I didn't ask sooner.

They also sold me a $149 phone for $49, which I think is good. I know a lot of people get their phones free with their plans, but since I had a great phone and didn't feel the need to trade up, I've taken the deal where I get services for free instead. So I was happy to get any sort of deal on the actual phone.

It's on its way in the mail to me! And it flips!!

Total debt: $5469 and a bit
Spent today: $11-ish

PS. Those of you who get the title are geeks, just like me ;-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If and when you decide to use Pay as You Go, take a look at Virgin. They don't charge the system access fee and their rates include voice mail and caller ID (no extra charges). For less than $10 a month I have a solid plan that takes care of my needs. You do have to buy the phone but they have options in different price points...

Just my humble opinion... I love my Virgin!

Related Posts with Thumbnails