Sunday, July 20, 2008

Never skimp on dessert

Oh was it steamy in our little apartment yesterday! Truly the first day this summer that we've been overwhelmingly uncomfortable. Thankfully we were up and out fairly early for us, because one the DP's closest friends stayed overnight. (He lives a short way out of town, but had to direct an episode of a reality TV show a mere two streets down from us first thing in the morning.) Something about having an overnight guest departing first thing makes it seem wrong to linger too long in lounge mode. Besides, it was just too hot to stay in the apartment!

So off we went to get some groceries - where I got overwhelmingly cold, which is so ridiculous - and then I spent a good chunk of the afternoon sweating through a couple of classes at the gym. It was obviously hot in the classes, but not as hot as our apartment.

(I should have just gone to Dance Dance Party Party, but I wasn't sure about taking transit in my perpetually sweaty state. Now, of course, I wish I'd gone and busted a move with that whole group. Why does hindsight have to be so smart?)

Then there was rain and it finally started to cool down a bit, so we headed out on a little dinner-and-a-movie date. I was excited, because I realized that the DP's gym payment had come out of my account, so I could deduct that from my portion of the groceries, thus leaving me with extra money for the week! I know that I should account for this in the future and put that extra money on my loan, but this week I had already taken it out of my account, so I decided to enjoy it.

We decided to avoid the first weekend crowds at The Dark Knight, which is sort of strange considering the DP's love of comics, and went to see Wall-E. (And I used my Scene card! I've almost got enough points for a free movie. I heart my Scene card.)

Everyone should go see Wall-E. I don't want to say too much, because I don't want to build it up so much that you're disappointed when you see it. I will just say that it made me just a little bit different, which is my marker for a great movie.

Afterwards we ended up at the Pickle Barrel for dinner. I had a major hate on for the PB for many years, after a particularly bad meal there once, but they seem to have turned things around. The menu is alarmingly long - I've read novellas that are shorter than their menu - but they also give you a one sheet "Healthy" menu, where all the items are under 500 calories. And they all sounded really, really yummy.

I was starving and the DP was just sort of vaguely hungry, so we opted to share a starter and a main off the healthy menu. First a portobello mushroom that involved a bruschetta like topping and then a sun dried tomato burger (sans bun) with goat cheese and smashed potatoes. Everything was incredibly tasty, but we neglected to factor in the size factor of 500 calories dishes. We share meals all the time in restaurants, because the portions are so unbelievably large that we can generally both eat a good meal out of one dish and not feel like we're so full that we have to lie down. Yes, servers hate us. But these dishes were so small in comparison to the platters that we usually come across that I was still hungry at the end of them.

So, being devoted sweet eaters, we decided we could treat ourselves to dessert. In a brilliant marketing move (Bravo PB), the waiter brought over a little carousel of miniature desserts, also considered healthy because of their tiny size. The wee martini glasses held carrot cake, strawberry cheesecake, key lime pie, chocolate fudge, tiramisu and...something else. He also brought two spoons and left the whole thing, along with the regular dessert menu, on the table for a few minutes. We were very tempted to dig into a couple of the small options, because they looked so tempting right in front of us, but we figured that we could go "non-healthy" for dessert, since we'd been so restrained at dinner.

The next thing we know, the waiter puts down the BIGGEST glass dish of dessert in front of us. Molten chocolate cake with frozen yogurt and whipped cream. The sheer size of the dessert embarrassed us both. But we ate it. And we tried to learn our lesson, but it was just so, so delicious.

All in all, a good day.

Total debt: $5564
Spent yesterday: $60-ish

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails