Friday, July 4, 2008

Un delicieux petit dejeuner

After a morning trip to the gym, I went down to visit the DP at his office, so he could take me out for lunch. He's been raving about a little crepe place that he's been frequenting. Despite our long wait, because one of their hot plates had lost power, we each had a delicious savoury crepe (well, mine was technically savoury, but did involve maple syrup) and then split a sweet crepe. Super tasty!

Afterwards, left to my own devices at Yonge and Bloor, I could not deny that I wanted to browse through racks of pretty clothes. But considering the workouts that my credit card has had the past couple of months, I couldn't trust myself to head to any of my usual spots. (Especially since the card is once again empty...until I buy some tickets for the DP's last birthday present next weekend.) What's a girl to do?

Well, this girl headed to Holt Renfrew!

Racks and racks of beautiful clothing that is so expensive - even with all the summer sales - that I would never even entertain the idea of buying any of it. Although I could have easily maxed out my credit card in the Nanette Lepore section. And there were oh so many pretty party dresses. I'm not sure where I would wear them, but perhaps I could just look super chic on my way to the library to pick up last month's magazines for free.

In the past I have looked at these clothes and thought, "One day..." But today I realized that my financial situation would have to change dramatically before I would ever purchase a $350 shirt or a $650 clutch. (No joke. The clutch was originally almost $1300, but had been tossed in the Sale bin. A steal at $650!) It made me a little sad, because the truth is that the expensive clothes are WAY cuter than the mall clothes! Maybe I'd be better off aiming for independent stores that are a little higher end than the mall, but not full of designer names. Like Girl Friday.

Needless to say, I didn't walk out with anything except a small case of wealth-envy.

Total debt: $5999 and a bit
Spent today: $2.36 (Oh ya. I followed up the crepes with a very expensive Big Cookie. That's as close to luxury as I can get.)

1 comment:

sweetpea said...

I love Girl Friday (but I haven't been in for a while)... the dress I bought there like three years ago is still 'current' and super cute.

Related Posts with Thumbnails