Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Subscribing for my future

It was kind of a strange day for me. Some stuff at work, which I don't really want to get into on my blog, made me realize that everything is tenuous and we always have to have a backup plan.

I'm not sure I have a backup plan.

Thankfully the freelancing has been fairly steady. (I'm working on two pieces right now.) But I need to expand my stable of freelance clients...and to do so I need to keep a close eye on what the magazines are currently doing.

A closer eye than just reading slightly out-of-date mags at the library.

Therefore, I'm spending some money tonight, signing up for some mag subscriptions. The good news is that I will be able to write off these expenditures come tax time. The bad news is that they cost money upfront.

Welcome back, ye olde credit card. How has your (far too brief) rest been?

It's a legitimate business expense, folks! Plus I will get even more joy from the mail when it is full of glossy, glossy mags.

Total debt: $5999 and a bit
Spent today: $0 (from my cash budget)

2 comments:

Paronomaniac said...

Just curious, but are you a Rogers customer at all? Internet, cable, wireless? If so, I'm sure you know you can get Rogers publications subscriptions for super cheap: Flare is $1 a month, as is LouLou, Maclean's is $2 a month (because it's weekly), Chatelaine is $1 a month...and the tab is added to your monthly bill.
I have to exercise a certain amount of restraint, else I'd be getting Today's Parent or something just because I can!

Tammy said...

The Rogers bill is in the DP's name, so I wasn't aware of all these deals! However, I did get a Chatelaine/Flare combo deal that was unbeatable. ($15 for the two!)

Related Posts with Thumbnails