Thursday, July 10, 2008

Inspiration, indignation and a flexing of my credit muscles

I just came back from seeing David Sedaris read. Not only are his essays hysterical, but his comic timing is impeccable. I laughed for the entire hour. And it was a free event at Indigo!

In high school I went to see authors read all the time. See one of my earliest published articles here as evidence. But for some reason that I can't explain, I hadn't seen an author read in several years before tonight. And I'd forgotten how inspiring it is.

Sadly my body is extremely mad at me for standing in one place for two hours. (There were 800 people stuffed in the store, so I had to stand for the hour before he spoke to save my spot.) Thankfully the hour of waiting flew by, because I just started chatting with the two lovely women beside me. We even exchanged contact info, so hopefully I'll see them again. A great city moment!

And speaking of city moments, I can't tell you how many people I ran into at the reading! I'm relatively new to Sedaris - I've known about him for years, but only started reading him last winter. Apparently I know a LOT of Sedaris fans! Made this huge city seem really small. I love when that happens.

I even had a Sedaris moment on the subway heading home. A girl (maybe a woman?) was standing in the doorway solving a Rubik's Cube, of all things! She was wearing leggings, too, so I was momentarily transported to 1982 until I noticed her iPod and the laptop bag slung over her shoulder. It made me want to go back to Indigo, get in line with the hundreds of people waiting for David to sign their books and tell him about it!

Anyway, I stopped to do some browsing on my way to Indigo, since I was at Yonge and Bloor with a bit of time to kill. I found myself in H&M, drawn to a very cute, casual purple purse. I wasn't planning on buying it, but I knew I needed to just check the price tag...

$99!!!!!

AT H&M!!!

I was aghast. I recognize that it was a good leather purse, but since when does a purse in H&M cost $99!? This is the store where you can buy a wool coat that looks warm, but is actually far too thin for an Ontario winter, for a mere $65! Earrings can be had for less than $3!

I'm not okay with H&M introducing any sort of "higher end" line. I shop at H&M because I feel confident that I can afford to buy every single item in the store. And my purse limit is about $45, easily found at Aldo or Winners. It was so very wrong.

On another note, I gave the credit card a very good workout today. As a final birthday present to the DP, a big group of us are heading to Medieval Times on Saturday night. We got a group rate, thank goodness, but the tickets are still about $55 each. And I bought 13 of them on my credit card today. I charged more than my half of our rent. All I can say is that everybody better show up and bring money for me!

Total debt: $5999 and a bit
Spent yesterday: $0 (I forgot to say that yesterday.)
Spent today: $10.49 (And I'm ashamed to say that it was all spent at Starbucks, but in two different trips!)
Weekly total: $75.60 (Technically under, but all my cash is gone, so it was all that I had!)

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails