Saturday, February 6, 2010

Day 6 and 7- Excellent weekend!

I had a fantastic weekend! It started with my new sewing class on Saturday morning, which had me practically skipping down the street with anticipation. The two hours flew by, but were full of major sewing milestones for me: I threaded a bobbin, I threaded a machine, I pinned fabric together and then sewed it, and I finished seams in three different ways, including on a serger. While I realize that these are only baby-steps to most sewers, to me they felt like awesome accomplishments.

This is my kit of essentials and my projects for the day:


And this is a close-up of my first stitches:


I also learned a whole bunch of things and smiled a lot. Oh, and ate some candy (it's stashed all over the studio) and met some nice women.

All of that positive energy followed me along home and, since I had to pass by the gym anyway, I took the energy right on in and got my workout out of the way:

20 minutes of high-intensity running intervals on the treadmill
20 minutes of intervals on the stair-climber
5 minutes of stretching

Afterwards I had permission from myself to go home and be a little lazy for a while. (It helped that I came home to find that the Husband had spent the morning emptying the dishwasher, cleaning the kitchen, making the bed and folding all the laundry! I heart the Husband!) To me, a lazy February afternoon meant catching up on a couple of shows from earlier in the week while baking some cookies for my outing today, and then doing some reading and a bit of writing. All in loungey pants, of course.

As evening set in, I headed out to meet the husband for dinner and to see Avatar in 3D Imax. I was thoroughly entertained by the film, but severely uncomfortable throughout. Apparently there was something wrong with the heat in the theatre, so it was about a thousand degrees and the 3D gave me a headache and made me a bit nauseous on top of it. So I can't say that I wanted the film to go any longer than it did. But I'm glad I saw it, so I can understand what all the hype is about. (If you've seen it, check out the trivia section on IMDB. So interesting!)

This morning I was so comfy and cozy at home in our sunny apartment that even the thought of venturing into the cold to go to the gym felt cruel. But I managed to drag myself away from the flannel sheets and stack of magazines and just get it done:

30 minutes internals on the cross-trainer
(I didn't even really stretch. I had places to be!)

I ran home for a quick shower and change before the Husband drove me to the east end of the city to meet some girlfriends for a wee road trip to Aurora, to visit another girlfriend who is due to give birth pretty much any time now. We had a great visit over tea and treats (hence the cookie-baking yesterday) and marveled about how the next time we saw our friend, she would have a baby in her arms. Amazing!

Now, Sunday night feeling sets in. It should be an interesting week at work, since there's some construction happening in my office and as of tomorrow afternoon, I will be displaced to work out of our glass-ceilinged atrium. Weird. But different! And I'm all about change being a good thing.

First week of February is done!! And so far, so good. But clearly my cat is finding this month much more taxing. This is how she has looked the whole time I've been writing this post:

2 comments:

Red Aloud said...

I survived week one as well! I had to work all weekend and still managed to get in my 30 mins - I ran on Saturday morning in the dark and yesterday I walked home. if it wasn't for this challenge I would NOT have done either!!

Of course now I'm really bitter that I am no seeing any reward on the scale, but whatever.

Heading out for another cold run!

Tammy said...

Well done, Joey! Have you decided what your reward will be at the end of the month?

Related Posts with Thumbnails