Monday, February 15, 2010

Day 14 and 15 - Love and the bare minimum


The Husband was out of town, only just expected home late yesterday morning, so I knew I wanted to get my workout out of the way first thing. And that's why I was one of the first people at the gym when it opened at 9 A.M. I wasn't inspired to really push any limits, so I just hopped on a cross-trainer and did my 30 minutes all in one go and then got the hell out of there, without even stretching or anything. I even used the easy cross-trainer.

(There are cross-trainers that just sort of go around and don't require much effort and then there are ones where your legs come up in front of you at a right angle that are MUCH harder. I usually use the harder ones, but not yesterday.)

And today, after spending all morning in bed with the Husband, reading and eating breakfast (and Valentine's chocolate and cookies...) and watching funny videos on his laptop, we finally dragged ourselves out and made it to the gym. But once again, I just couldn't bring myself to push myself. Still, I did 20 minutes on the hard cross-trainer and 10 minutes on the stair-climber. I definitely worked harder than yesterday, but didn't go above and beyond. AND I skipped stretching (and abs) AGAIN! Still, I did it.

And then, after some leftover Indian food from last night (super delicious!), we got sucked into a marathon of Last Cake Standing. We were supposed to be cleaning the apartment, but the cakes were so crazy! And then we had more cookies and Valentine's chocolate. And suddenly all the sugar in my system combined to feel like sand in my veins and I could hardly conceive of MOVING!

All this to tell you that it wasn't our most productive afternoon, but the Husband did do a FANTASTIC job cleaning the bathroom and I tried to undo our day of bad eating by making a healthy new recipe - One-pot sweet-potato couscous. DEE-LICIOUS! Hopefully the actual nutrients in my system might propel me to be do something useful this evening.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

:) Can I have the recipe to the couscous? While I haven't made a gym commitment, the healthy eating I could go for!

Tammy said...

Sure Shawna! It's from Best Health magazine. Unfortunately, I couldn't find a link to it online, but I will type it out for you here:

One-Pot Sweet-Potato Couscous

1/3 cup chopped walnuts (I used pecans, because that's what I had in the house)
1 tsp olive oil
1 medium onion, diced
1 3-inch cinnamon stick, broken in half (I didn't have a stick, so I just shook some cinnamon in the pot)
2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
2 cups vegetable broth
250 g fresh or frozen green beens (I used fresh broccoli, because that's what I had!)
1 cup whole wheat couscous
1/3 cup raisins
1/2 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped (I didn't have this, so I skipped it)
1/2 cup low-fat feta, crumbled

Toast walnuts in a large, non-stick pot (without oil) over medium heat, 5 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl.
Heat oil in same pot over medium-high heat. Add onion and cinnamon. Stir for 2 minutes, then add sweet potatoes.
Pour in broth and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer until sweet potatoes are almost tender, 8 to 10 minutes.
Return to boil, add beans and cook until tender crisp, 5 minutes.
Stir in couscous and raisins, cover, remove from heat and let stand 5 minutes.
Fluff with a fork, serve sprinkled with walnuts, parsley and feta.

ENJOY! (I had leftovers for lunch today and it was so yummy that I wished I hadn't halved the recipe last night!)

Related Posts with Thumbnails