Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Day 10 - Stronger...and yet weaker

I woke up feeling like myself again this morning. Thank goodness! Although I also started the day with a serious case of the yawns and a nagging sense of weariness. Perhaps it was the emergence of actual winter, what with the light dusting of snow settling over the city. It didn't help that our offices are currently under construction, meaning that many of us have been moved to temporary desks scattered throughout our beautiful two-story, glass-ceilinged atrium. There isn't much lighting in the atrium, so when it's gloomy outside, it's gloomy in there. Thankfully my deskmate helped me hook up a lamp, so I could see. My mood was also helped along by the illumination.

But, and I'll be honest with you here, I didn't want to go to the gym! You're probably not surprised by that statement, but I kind of am. This little challenge is really highlighting how often my good intentions are derailed by powerful negative thoughts. Hardly a day has passed that I haven't had to force myself to get up and go. But you know what? I haven't regretted going even once! Go figure.

Anyway, I knew that a class was the best option for me today, since my own motivation was somewhat lacking. I chose to do some strength training at a gravity class.

A what? you say!

It's this super cool thing that they have at my gym. It was actually one of the selling points of me for this particular location. (Also, it's two minutes from work.) They are machines with pulleys and stuff that allow you to work out against your own body weight. And you can adjust the angle of the machine, to either work out harder or easier. Let me find a picture...



See?

The classes are just a half hour, which really flies by, and the workout is hard. I still remember the first time I tried it and during the first 2 minutes of squats I thought to myself, "Oh, I am way beyond this. I'm not going to get enough of a workout." And then I remember how my muscles were burning and I was gasping for breath about a minute later. Truly.

So this was it today. I jogged for a few minutes prior to the class, but skipped any post class cardio. Weary won out. (Although, I had WAY more energy in the afternoon!)

3 comments:

Jodie said...

Looks cool Tam - what gym do you go to?

Care said...

I did Gravity for two months back in Toronto - I loved it! Well really it was a love/hate relationship ... it totally kicked my ass. Ah the good times!!!

Tammy said...

Jodie, it's just Good Life, but it's one of the higher tier ones that's just for us girls. I love it!
And Care, yes. Gravity is totally an ass-kicker.

Related Posts with Thumbnails