Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Tammy has shed her blood for Russia

Sorry I didn't get a chance to post yesterday, but I have a good excuse. I was at a FOUR HOUR OPERA! No joke. In fact, if you tried to make a joke and said, "What was it based on, War and Peace!?" Well, that wouldn't be funny. Because it was. I was at War and Peace: The Opera.

Don't misunderstand my consternation - it was really good. I thoroughly enjoyed it. But DAMN it was long! I said to my lovely partner in crime, who was also the person who secured the *free* tickets to the epic event, that we were really going to feel like we'd accomplished something by getting through the whole thing.

And we did. Plus, we figure we never have to read the book now that we know the story. Which is this:

Act 1
Young, nubile Natasha is the object of everyones affections, including a recent widower, the caddish brother of a promiscuous Francophile, and the husband of the same promiscuous Francophile. She gets engaged to the first one, but his family doesn't think she's cool enough, so they send him away for a year to test their bonds of love. She gets bored and is easily swayed by the cad's kisses, with whom she tries to flee in the night for a forbidden elopement. (More forbidden than she knows, since said cad is already betrothed.) Her maid (or cousin or someone) tells on her, therefore foiling the plan. The third guy (who is known as an all-around good guy married to a slut, albeit an attractive slut) is called in to talk some sense into Natasha, while secretly grappling with his own feelings.
WAR IS DECLARED!

Intermission. At this point we were only 1 hour and 45 minutes in, so we were glad that we stopped and stocked up on Tim Horton's cookies before arriving.

Act 2
Ummmm...war stuff. Lots of it. The Russians sing about how they're going to fell the French. And then Napolean and the rest of the French soldiers sing about how they're totally going to crush the Russians.
Rinse and repeat.
I'll admit, it got a little old, especially since it was almost two hours of it. Again - great performances, but I was daydreaming about being at home in my loungey pants.
Oh, at the end Natasha was reunited with her original fiance, who forgives her and then dies. And then the nice guy married to the promiscuous Francophile finds out that she's alive and he's dead, so it ends with him seeing the possibility of future happiness with Natasha. (I can't remember what happened to the cad and his sister, but they probably died.)
Right! And Russia wins, but the whole place is burned down.

The end! Home to bed!!

So that's where I was. And tonight I should be at my choir rehearsal, but a very busy week and a some trouble sleeping has left me unbelievably exhausted. Plus I had some freelancing that I needed to finish. So I'm tucked away at home and will have my head on the pillow at 10pm sharp!

Total debt: $3564 and a bit
Spent yesterday: $14.52
Spent today: $16

1 comment:

Crissy Calhoun said...

the book is one of the best things i have ever read. for reals. you should read it. maybe in ten years or so when the memory of the opera has faded a bit.

Related Posts with Thumbnails