Wednesday, October 22, 2008

I'm cutting myself off

A quick pre-choir post for y'all.

So, for the first time since I began this journey to becoming debt-free, I've had to remove my credit card from my wallet in order to stop myself from using it.

I don't know what's happened! I think I'm getting a little cocky, knowing the end is near. But what's actually happening is that I'm pushing that end further away, because I always need to clear my credit card before I pay more on my debt. (It has a much higher interest rate, so it only makes sense.)

It started innocently enough - much needed drugstore stuff, a couple of magazine subscriptions that I can write off - but in the last couple of weeks it sort of got out of control. I bought that beautiful new iPod (which I LOVE) and then I spent some money on iTunes, getting new music to put on it. Then I took the cat to vet. Then I went to the drugstore and got some essentials plus a few things I never let myself buy (a deep-conditioning treatment for my hair, a serum for my face to combat winter dryness, a box of hair dye that I don't need yet because it was on sale...). Oh, and don't forget that new ski jacket yesterday.

Not good people. Not good. And I continue to wait on money in the mail, which is leading me to believe I have more than I do.

So the card came out and it will stay out for a while. I'm putting on the brakes and embracing the idea of NOT spending.

Sadly, unless that mail money shows up, my credit card debt may stop me from making a loan payment this week. And that is not the way I wanted things to go. I guess, like many vices, I can never let my guard down when it comes to money. Not if I want to get ahead.

Total debt: $2731 and a bit
Spent today: $5-ish

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Isn't it interesting how we self-sabotage? You might not see it that way, but if we have anything even slightly resembling an addiction, that's what we do when we get close to conquering. Fascinating.

You'll do it, Tam, I'm not worried, and you were smart to remove the credit card from your wallet. Far too tempting!!

Love, A

Anonymous said...

I so feel your pain Tammy! I admit I struggle with that sometimes and I don't know why. I know I am getting some extra money and I was going to make an extra house payment but then I purchased pants at Lulu and a photo frame and new socks, etc and I think I have spent most of the extra money :( Methinks the credit card, debit card and cash need to stay at home for a while!

Related Posts with Thumbnails