Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Have I purged too much?

I have often prided myself on my ability to purge stuff from my life. My nomadic upbringing taught me the benefit of never having too many things. (Although I'm still annoyed that my Barbies bit the dust before my 10th birthday. We were changing continents, though, so traveling light was a priority.) But isn't pride one of the seven deadly sins? If so, that would explain why my superior purging abilities are coming back to bite me in the ass.

Namely, I need a skirt for my choir performances. A plain black ankle-length skirt. A skirt that I owned for many years. A really nice one, too! Until plain black ankle-length skirts went out of style and I donated it. That was several years ago. And now I need a new one.

A couple of women in the choir regaled me with tales of how they had made their plain black ankle-length skirts. Just a bit of fabric, some elastic for the waist and a few seams through the sewing machine. I smiled and nodded, unsure of how to explain that I not only don't own a sewing machine, but that I'd have nary an idea of how to turn it on if I did.

*Aside* During an enlightening visit to Canadian Tire with my mom while she was here, she tried to convince me that I needed to buy several things that I don't actually need, including an entire set of pots that were on sale, despite the fact that the DP and I have two sets between us. One of those things was a sewing machine, which seems like a pretty big piece of equipment for a two-bedroom apartment, particularly when no one in the apartment knows how to use it. *Aside over*

Sure, I took home economics in junior high and we did have a sewing segment. But after I broke THREE of the machines, they made me sew all my stuff by hand. So I forged ahead in life and never looked back.

I'd really like to sew. And I was considering taking a beginner sewing course this fall, until I realized I'm busier than I thought. But I can't sew. And so I need to buy a plain black ankle-length skirt.

Any ideas where I can find one?

Total debt: $2731 and a bit (That's right. The money in the mail remains elusive.)
Spent today: $5.23 (Afternoon treat.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Check out Sally Ann and her friends - one of those places is bound to have a skirt like that and for a discounted price! And nobody needs to know any different that you got it 2nd hand!

Ghostface Knittah said...

Firstly, I encourage you to take a sewing class!!! (You can take a quick one-night intro for $50 at The Workroom in Parkdale). Secondly, I needed a crappy plain skirt one time and I checked places like Sears and the Wally (Wal-Mart) - evil, I know, but dirt cheap, especially if you're only gonna wear it once. Then you can take it apart and turn it into something cute once you've learned how to sew!

Related Posts with Thumbnails