Saturday, June 21, 2008

Tea for two and two times tea

It was a lovely, lovely day. A nice lazy morning with the paper and a cup of tea followed by a gym visit. Then lunch with the DP and off to meet a dear old friend for another cup of tea.

We decided to avoid the chains and try something completely new, so we met in a somewhat sketchy area of Dundas West to go to a place called Ella's Uncle, which I found online. It was a charming little indy place, with just a few stools in the window and nary a bathroom. (The indy restaurant across the street let me use their loo, thank goodness!)

My friend bought my tea and some cookies for us to share before I could even pull out my wallet. It was very sweet and generous. She even brought me some incredible loose tea from a place called Tealish. Here is the flavour that she gifted to me:

Walnut Ave - Green Tea
A sweet and rich green tea blend that is one of our most popular. Walnut Ave. green tea is a blend in honour of the coolest street in Toronto, Walnut Ave. – home to the Tealish modern tea boutique! The blend features fine organic green tea with walnuts, almonds, pineapple bits, coconut shreds, and brittle bits. An absolutely delicious infusion with an incredible aroma and a sweet nutty aftertaste. This green tea is amazing and many of our customers say that it’s like dessert in a cup!

People, I cannot explain to you how amazing it smells! The DP and I are saving it for a Sunday morning treat. I'll let you know how it is. I suspect it will be heavenly! (Thank you tea gifter, for both the tea and the conversation.)

After a trip to my local library branch - where I picked up Douglas Coupland's >The Gum Thief and Joan Didion's The Year of Magical Thinking for my upcoming holidays - I did a bit of grocery shopping and then came home to watch a sappy, girly movie that I didn't have to rent, because one of our wonderful neighbours offered to lend me their copy. So I watched and folded laundry and worked on the big Sudoku in the paper (which I screwed up) until the DP returned home from his tea date with his friend. After a quick recap of our afternoons, I went back to what I was doing and he made me dinner. Not a bad deal, eh?

Afterwards we finished a movie that I'd picked up at the library early last week. It's a stylish film created entirely with green screens that was sadly boring. It took us three sittings to get through it.

And now it is Saturday evening. Traditionally we are supposed to be out whooping it up, but instead we're each at our computers in the office with our sometimes cranky cat on the sofa behind us and the new Coldplay album playing. Not exciting perhaps, but happy making for me right now. What more can I ask for?

Total debt: $6600 and a bit
Spent today: $17.34

2 comments:

Ghostface Knittah said...

I love Ella's Uncle! Have you tried Saving Grace across the street? I've been trying to go for about 2 years now, but there's always a huge brunch line that I just can't deal with.

I also love Joan Didion (I prefer calling her J-Diddy). Magical Thinking is one of my favourite books of all time. You have to read it in one go, take it like medicine, because it puts you in quite the headspace. Also had the pleasure of seeing her read from it in Central Park two summers ago, in the middle of a terrific thunder storm.

And I'm loving this blog, too!

Tammy said...

Saving Grace is where I used the bathroom! It was busy, but there was no lineup. Maybe you just need to plan a later brunch.

Looking forward to J-Diddy. Maybe I'll commandeer the hammock one day this week and just settle in.

And welcome to the blog!

Related Posts with Thumbnails