Saturday, June 14, 2008

Do-overs and dry cleaning dilemmas

Okay everyone! I'm finally sitting down without threat of electrocution to blog. I realize I've been away for a few days. And I must admit - things have gone a little off the rails.

Not counting my recent spate of random credit card purchases, I've been playing a little fast and loose with cash.

It started with the decision a few weeks ago that it makes more sense for me to charge the groceries rather than the DP, because my points earn us free groceries. In theory it's good, but as far as using "cash only," it becomes a little confusing. On a good day, I try to remember just to leave my money in the bank until after grocery shopping day and the DP gives me cash, which I automatically deposit and then I go online and pay the charge and voila.

Well, it turns out that it's much harder for me to keep track of that all important $90 per week this way. Either I don't deposit the DP's money right away or we deduct his amount from something that I owe him...

Then this week I went to see my massage therapist (Who I highly recommend. If anyone is looking for someone great - he's it!), which is covered by my insurance. Normally I would just charge the treatment and then pay it off as soon as the claim goes through. But my MT just changed locations and now can only accept Visa and cash - not my MC. So I had to find money to give him.

All this to tell you that I haven't done such a good job of keeping track of receipts and stuff in the last week or so. Rather than try to log the days that I've missed here on the blog, I'm just going to start over again from today. Everyone gets at least one do-over, right?

Oh, and I wanted to tell you all how much my dry cleaner hates me. Seriously. I've always been one of those people who dutifully bring things in to be dry cleaned, but never get around to picking them up. Sometimes I forget, sometimes I'm lazy and oftentimes I just don't feel like spending the money. (When someone has to give a speech at a dry cleaning convention, and they want to open with a joke, I bet I'm the punchline. Or, at least, people like me.) All of my previous dry cleaners have been polite enough not to mention that they've had my black pants for three months, even though they probably have a security camera photo of me tacked up in the backroom in which someone has drawn a thought bubble above my head that reads, "Maybe I'll pick these up when I've finally secured a ticket to travel to the moon!" Or something funnier. Something that dry cleaners would say.

Anyway, my current dry cleaner cannot not mention how long it's been. And I feel so guilty! Like my single hanger of wool blend black trousers is causing him to toss and turn at night in worry that the owner will never retrieve them and pay him his $7.29!

So when I went in yesterday to pick up the offending black pants, I tried to circumvent his chiding by owning up straight away. With a lie, of course. I claimed I had completely forgotten where my pants were! (Now he probably thinks I'm a little slutty, too...) But still, still he had to say, "Since, May, eh?" in a very judgemental tone. Why? Why!?

(And don't tell me to go to another dry cleaner. The one across the street is the rich persons cleaner, with a flat screen TV over the reception desk. Last year they charged me $54 (!!!) to clean two cotton summer dresses. Truth be told, I just brought them in because they're a bitch to iron. It was a dark day. I asked the woman twice if they had double-charged me. She looked at me with pity in her eyes. That's what I get for living in a fancy neighborhood!)

Okay, so today we had another expensive grocery shop, but the cupboards were kind of bare, so it makes sense. Plus we went to the movies - to see a funny new Canadian film called "Young People F**cking." It was co-written and directed be a very talented guy that I went to high school with, so we were happy to go out and support it in its opening weekend. If you're looking for some serious laughs (and a teeny bit of nudity, but not nearly as much as you'd expect from the title), go see it!

Total debt: $6600 and a bit
Spent today: $71.95

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails