Monday, June 16, 2008

I'm a consumer, you're a consumer



The DP and I saw this shirt at The Gap the other day. It struck me as the biggest piece of bullshit ever. It's just more crap masquerading as some sort of deep message about materialism. I was offended.

Of course, we were at the mall because the DP was in need of some new summer clothes and a shirt to wear to the Much Music Video Awards, so we were busy being consumers. But at least we knew what we were doing. We weren't fooling ourselves or anyone else. The t-shirt just seemed so bogus.

But then just now, at the end of a little walk (must enjoy the extra hours of daylight while we can), we stopped into this bookstore just a few doors down from our apartment. It's mostly inexpensive remainders, but like any room filled with books, it has this beautiful feeling of possibility about it. Something about a bookstore makes me want to live a fuller life, be a more rounded person.

And I wanted to buy everything. Even though I own plenty of books I've never read and am an active member of the Toronto Public Library system. (Just picked up a David Sedaris that I haven't read yet. Can't wait!)

So I'm just as guilty as the dumb Gap shirt and I should probably get down off my high horse now.

Total debt: $6600 and a bit
Spent today: $8.97 (a few groceries and a Monday morning treat)

PS. I didn't buy any books, but then the DP asked me if there was anything I wanted. I declined at first (I don't generally let him buy me stuff just for the sake of buying me stuff), but then spotted a book at the counter called "What would Barbra do? How musical theatre changed my life." How could I say no to that?

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails