Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Baby, you can't drive my car

Tonight the domestic partner and I took our first trip to look at cars. His old car took its last ride around Christmas and we've been trying to figure out how to go about buying another one since then. Well, in truth, he is the one buying the car. Sadly, as you all know, I do not have the means to help buy a car at this time. Even though I will benefit greatly from this new car, I can't contribute. I really, really, really wish I could.

He probably should have picked a richer girlfriend before domestic partner hood set in. Now he's stuck with me.

Anyway, he has a really good idea of what he wants, but he's never taken a test drive, so we headed to a downtown dealership to do some reconnaissance.

And we found Cecil.

A rather hefty man with a bright red blazer, Cecil wasn't all that friendly upfront. But when I asked him about the pin on his lapel, which I recognized from my childhood, we discovered that he'd spent 35 years in the air force.

We bonded when I told him that I spent my first ten years on air force bases.

Now the domestic partner and I know the following things about Cecil:
- Where his daughter was born
- How his wife died
- How a "squadron coin" works
- His daughter's name (my middle name!)
- That he has a grandson
- That he has a girlfriend
- That he's going to Cuba on Sunday to be his best friend's best man
- How his best friend proposed to his girlfriend
- All the places he's lived overseas
- What he did in the air force
- How old he was when he joined the air force
- More stuff that I've already forgotten

The domestic partner and I did not test drive the car.

But we do have an appointment to do so on Saturday morning. Do you think Cecil might give us a deal because of our shared military experiences?

Total debt: $7036 and a bit (Can't wait until Friday when it will be under $7000 for good)
Spent today: $1.73 (Cup of tea on the way to meet Cecil, I mean test drive a car...)

ps. Dad, do you know about squadron coins?

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails