Thursday, June 5, 2008

Denim-tastic

Oh the mall can be a dangerous place!

My lovely desk mate and I went on a shopping mission at lunch, because she wanted to spend a store credit at Forever XI. Even when I'm in budget mode, I do love to peruse the racks. Clothes are just so much fun! (In some ways I haven't changed that much since the age of 11 when I discovered glossy mags full of pretty togs and wanted to own it all.)

Anyway, our trip through Forever XXI made me feel both old and fat. (I guess XXI was more than a decade ago in my world, plus I do have these womanly hips...) But a side trip to RW and Co on our way back through the mall was my undoing.

I bought a new denim skirt. I've been on the lookout for months, since the one that I currently have (which I happen to be wearing today) was purchased 7 years ago. I still love the style (although those womanly hips of mine might be a tad bit bigger than they were during my dancing days on the ship), but the denim itself has faded in an unattractive way. I still pull it out sometimes, but it now looks sloppy rather than sophisticated.

Anyway, I finally found a replacement. For a mere $48. I still need to try it on with everything I own and ascertain if it is indeed the denim skirt of my dreams, but I have a feeling it's going to be staying.

Despite the big con of this purchase - namely that I am spending money that should be going to my debt - there are many pros:
- Denim goes with everything, so this will allow me to wear all my colourful, patterned shirts during the summer when it's too hot for actual jeans.
- Denim is all season, so I can wear the skirt with tights in the winter
- It's a nice, flattering dark denim wash, so I will no longer have unfashionable denim fading that causes fashionistas on the subway to look at me with pity in their perfectly lined eyes.
- It's more comfortable, meaning I won't feel like a sausage when I wear it. (I currently feel a little like a sausage...)

PLUS I like to think of the CPR factor. That's Cost Per Wear for the uninitiated. When you buy something as flexible as denim, you are able to wear it so many times that the cost becomes amortized over each wearing, reducing it to mere pocket change.

There you have it. Don't think I didn't have my eye on a half-dozen cute tops as well, but I didn't even try those on! Despite this recent lapse, I really am trying to hang on tight to the budget wagon. I'm getting closer and closer to being under $5000... That will be a fine day indeed.

Total debt: $7036 and a bit
Spent today: $1.78 (Plus the skirt on credit, I know, I know.)
Weekly total: $92.58 (And all those credit card charges...)

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails