Thursday, June 19, 2008

New hair and the same old stress

Before I get to the story of my new haircut, I must first tell you all about the crappy, crappy start to my day.

First thing this morning I logged on to my benefits website, to see what was going on with my massage claim from last week and yesterdays dental claim. And what I saw was not good. My massage claim wasn't registering the full amount and my dental claim was only registering at about 10% of what I paid!

So the first thing I did when I arrived at work was call to make some enquiries. And the news was not good.

The massage claim discrepancy was just because there is a yearly deductible, so that's understandable. Provided I use up the rest of my allotment, I'm not too concerned. Besides, it's not a huge deductible, so even though I do not have any extra money right now, it's not going to break the bank. The problem with the dental claim, which I thought would be completely covered, is that I'VE ALREADY MAXED OUT MY DENTAL FOR THE YEAR!!

Pardon me, but Fuck.

It was the goddamn root canal.

I'm so behind money wise right now. Far enough behind that there will not be a loan payment tomorrow. And I really, really hate that. I'm so stressed about it that I feel like I'm wearing a lead blanket around my shoulders. I know that it's not so awful in the grand scheme of things, but it feels big today. I don't want to lose momentum. I want there to be an end to this debt, so I can work towards stuff rather than just pay for my past.

Anyway, on to the hair.

I knew that it needed to be cut, but I couldn't conceive of spending my normal small fortune at this point in time. (Thank goodness or I would feel even more panicked tonight!) So I made an appointment at the Aveda Academy around the corner from my office. They're students! They have two levels of students, so I picked the higher one, because if I was going to trust myself to a not-quite-professional, I wanted one as close to professional as possible!

It was the longest haircut of my life. An hour and 45 minutes. And the right side is definitely shorter than the left side. And the whole thing is shorter than I intended it to be. But it's still a pretty good haircut. The DP likes it. He says I look like a Russian spy. I think he means that in a good way. Have a look on the left and let me know what you think!

Oh, and the best part - it was a third of what I usually pay. Just $30! (Although it sort of feels like a million dollars right now because I'm feeling behind, but I know that it was a good deal.)

Total debt: $6600 and a bit
Spent today: $42-ish (My hair and some sushi for lunch, since I didn't bring anything from home.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tam, I LOVE LOVE LOVE your hair... It looks very chic and fabulous on you!! And I can't believe you only paid $30! Good on ya!!

PS - Don't be stressin'... it'll make you spend more money. Shake it off and move on. xo

sweetpea said...

I love the cut! If you want cheap student cuts there is also a Vidal Sassoon academy. I worked with a woman once that went there all the time and she had AMAZING hair.

Related Posts with Thumbnails