Monday, January 5, 2009

When passwords go wrong

If you ever find yourself wondering how you should spend the last evening of your two-week holiday, I urge you to promptly plop yourself down on the nearest soft surface, pick up the remote and finish off whatever television series you happen to be watching on DVD. Under NO CIRCUMSTANCES should you become full of purpose and try to finally secure your wireless router in order to stop your neighbours from stealing free Internet.

Guess why I didn't blog last night?

Nope. Not because I was busy laughing my ass off through the last 4 episodes of the second season of "30 Rock," (Kenneth is definitely on my fantasy dinner party list! Liz would be, too, but I'm afraid she would make too many Star Wars references and the DP would fall in love with her.) I didn't blog because I was preoccupied with creating that all-consuming rage that only accompanies computer problems.

How hard can it be to add a password to your network!? I'm not a Luddite - I can handle myself around a computer. I found the appropriate instructions on the router website, I managed to create a password for my actual account on the website, I named our network, and, eventually, I locked our network.

The problem? NONE OF THE PASSWORDS I CREATED WILL LET US INTO OUR NETWORK!!!

Oh the anger. I knew it was time to step away and leave it alone for a night when I wanted to throw my beloved new MacBook across the room. Thankfully we can still take turns plugging our laptops into the router, so we're not completely disconnected, but the whole point of a laptop is that you can use it wherever you want!

Blerg.

Tax goal: $2000
Current balance: $1045 (STILL!)
Spent Saturday, Sunday, Monday: $6.20

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails