Wednesday, January 14, 2009

So NOT the better way

Why oh why is the world so cruel? How can I possibly be expected to wedge myself into a packed, gross subway car twice a day?

Maybe I've been watching too many episodes of "Gossip Girl" lately, because suddenly a car and a driver is at the top of my want list. Or maybe it's because the subway has been extra bad lately.

Normally I don't mind the commute. I like to read my glossy mags* and chill out. Besides, on a good day it's a pretty quick trip. No more than 15 minutes actually on transit. But the delays seem to be constant these days. And it's always so busy that getting a seat is pretty much impossible.

Also, I stepped in a puddle on urine on the subway on my way home last Friday. I had been standing right in front of a rough-looking man who was sitting down. He got off at Bloor and I gratefully sunk into his seat, only to get a distinct whiff of urine the moment I did. I tried to ignore it for a minute, but there was no denying the stench. Then I got scared. Was I sitting in it? I didn't smell it until he got off. So I stood up and thankfully felt that the back of my jacket was dry. Then I looked down.

Yep. A sizable puddle of pee. Piss, even. I was standing right in the middle of it.

Thank goodness for winter boots and no dragging hemlines. Thank goodness the car wasn't so crowded that I had to continue to stand in it. Thank goodness I only had two more stops to go. And thank goodness for snowbanks to step in.

I think any warm feelings I had left for the TTC died that day. Now I'm cranky the minute I arrive on the platform, already dreading what's ahead.

I have been watching too much GG. I'm becoming a spoiled whiner!

Tax goal: $2000
Current balance: $1045
Spent today: $0

*Now that I'm getting several girly U.S. magazines, I ended up on some mailing list and received a Victoria's Secret catalogue. The DP naturally assumed it was a very early birthday present for him. We both marveled at how such skinny women could have such large breasts. Surgery really has come a long way. (He chooses to believe they were blessed by a higher power.)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, DP can dream alright but it's plastic and saline baby...

As for the better way, compared to just about any other city in the country it is great. I know it can be smelly but believe me when I have missed a bus leaving me with a 30 min wait I feel a huge nostalgia for the 5 min of less wait for a subway or the FS status of a bus (10 min of less)... There are still stinkies, weirdos and the rude ones even in the quaint Maritimes...

That said, I have yet to step into pee - I just happen to walk by an 'aeration' pond of one hospital on my trail to work (ie the sewage treatment pit of one of the hospital)...

Perhaps DP can make a purchase from Vic Secrets? It means a new bra for you and more smiles for him! ;-)

Anonymous said...

Tam - Ottawa's OC Transpo is into day 36 of a strike... There would be some here who would WILLINGLY step in pee if it meant they didn't have to find another way to travel to work!! Life is all perspective, isn't it??

Anonymous said...

I'll commiserate with you, Tam. I'm on the fourth-straight day this week of standing both ways all the way to Sheppard. At almost 8 months pregnant. It f*cking blows.

Anonymous said...

I don't know if I should feel comforted or irritated that other people are also having such a bad time on the TTC. Here is my story:
Yesterday I was getting off at my subway stop and I unintentionally got in the way of a man who was charging for the doors before they closed. So what did he do? He punched me. That's right! I'm a woman in my 20s who was doing nothing more than minding my own business and I was punched by a man on the subway platform. What is becoming of this city?

Tammy said...

Wow! Lots to say about my TTC hatred! You are all correct - things could be a lot worse. I should be thankful that we have such a great transit system, glad that the mayor doesn't let them strike for very long and intensely happy that no one has punched me lately! Also, I try my best to pay attention, but I"m going to make it a resolution to actively LOOK for people who need the seat more than I do.
Thanks for the wake up calls everyone!

Related Posts with Thumbnails