Friday, January 30, 2009

The beginning

I've been trying to keep a bit of a log about the trip. Here's the first installment. Stay tuned for more!

Let’s get this party started
I was so excited the night before our departure that I only slept for about three hours, but I still bounded out of bed about 15 minutes before our alarm sounded. A FREE VACATION TO WHISTLER! Is there any other reason to get out of bed at 5:45 a.m. on a January morning? Our trip to the airport was smooth and we found ourselves through security with about a half hour until our flight was due to board.
So what did we do? Well, we went to Tim Hortons, of course! Strangely enough, the Timmy’s line was the longest line we encountered all morning. Funny.

Then I needed airplane snacks, because I have a misguided notion that calories don’t count in the friendly skies. Sadly I forgot to get some M&Ms at Shoppers the night before, so a medium-sized bag and a litre of water cost me $7.31! Our entire order at Timmy’s – two bagels and two teas – came to a mere $4.31. It’s at this point that I realized there’s no such thing as a truly FREE vacation. (Not that I’m complaining!)

Blue skies smiling at me
Our flight went off without a hitch, until I needed to eat some real food. (Apparently M&Ms aren’t very nutritious, which came as a total surprise to me.) If you haven’t flown in a while, let me break the bad news – free airplane food no longer seems to exist. AT least not on Air Canada.. About a half-hour after we reached our cruising altitude they came around with the food and beverage carts. I was watching “Horton Hears a Who” on my awesome MacBook (I rented it on iTunes. I’m so tech savvy!) and happily eating my M&Ms even though it was only 11:00 a.m. They were selling lunch stuff. Overpriced sandwiches, salads, wraps and pizza. That kind of stuff. I wasn’t the least bit hungry (You don’t have to be hungry to eat M&Ms), so I asked if they’d be around again later. Oh yes, they assured me.
Three hours later, when I’ve already finished my movie, watched two episodes of “Entourage,” taken roughly 800,000 photos of mountains far below and burned through the empty calories from the delicious little candies, I’m starting to get grumpy from hunger. The DP tries to convince me to press the call button to ask if they are actually going to come around again, but the annoying polite girl that lives inside of me didn’t want to bother anyone. I’’m such a wimp! He calls them for me and when they come by they promise that they were just prepping the carts. Yay! I’m totally ready to order the veggie and hummus wrap. I can taste it already! Sure it’s going to cost me $6, but I have to eat, right?
By the time they reach me the only option is the pizza or a Greek salad. How frustrating! If I’d known they were going to run out of what I wanted, I would have ordered it earlier! (Mental note: Remember this for the return flight…) We both get the salad, which is fine, but not what I wanted, you know?
Okay, enough complaining.

Here's one of the zillion photos I took from the plane:

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails