Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Can I buy away my winter blues?

You know what's surprising after all this time? I still have money anxiety. Even though I don't have anymore more major debt, I'm still worried about saving my tax money and finally paying off the DP. Plus I have a couple hundred dollars on my credit card that I want gone. Now.

So here's the really crazy part. The anxiety makes me want to spend.

What's that all about? I guess the desire for a quick hit of having something new never goes away? I also think I was lulled into a happy state of having lots of money coming in before Christmas and now that it's stopped, I'm still trying to adjust. Not that I've purchased anything crazy! There's a small list of things I need right now, most of them for Whistler, and I'm trying to hold off until I get paid on Friday. I've also been weirdly obsessed with a fitness dvd that I read about in a magazine. I've actually gone out looking for it, which is so dumb. I generally do all my working out at the gym, so I DO NOT need a dvd! (It's funny. I'm obsessed with it because I read how good it was. And even though I'm one of the people who writes those articles, they still get to me! I swear, I am a marketer's dream client.)

Oh, did I mention that I took the piece of art that the DP bought me to be framed? Ya. Framing costs an arm and a leg. But I didn't want to leave it sitting in a poster tube for months, so I bit the bullet. I had to pay half up front, which is part of what is on the credit card.

I am waiting for some freelance money. Some of it will most likely come this week and the rest of it will hopefully come soon after. Those two cheques will more than cover my credit card - provided that I don't use it for anything else!

After Friday I can pick up the last of what I need for our vacation and get my hair cut. And then I will have lots of money to actually go on vacation. The tax fund will have to wait until I see what's left apres ski.

Logically I know that I'm in a good place, but emotionally I'm feeling stagnant and precarious. It's probably just January. Have I mentioned how much I hate January!?

Tax goal: $2000
Current balance: $1045
Spent today: $6 (Extra veggies for dinner.)

1 comment:

Lois Kim said...

I so know what you mean about the debt making you want to spend more! What is up with that phenomenon??

Related Posts with Thumbnails