Thursday, November 20, 2008

Unenjoyable shopping?

I have a confession - I don't like shopping for shoes.

Do I have to give my "girly" card back now?

Let me clarify. It's not that I don't love shoes. I do. They are beautiful and fabulous to look at. I covet many, many pairs. But I hate the process of finding ones to actually wear. Not only am I a transit whore, which rules out anything difficult or painful to walk in, but I also have wide feet and bunions. (Sexy, eh?) And those two things make 99.9% of the shoes in the world both painful and difficult to walk in for me.

On top of all this, I can only afford to have shoes that go with the majority of things I own. So they need to be comfortable, practical and cute, because I still like to be somewhat fashionable!

Currently I am in need of boots. Two pairs, to be exact. My tall boots are so worn out that it looks like I went to war in them. (I'm very hard on my shoes.) And my shorter boots, the ones I wear with pants and stuff, have a hole in them. Not so good in the now slushy conditions. (I did buy a pair of proper winter boots last year, but I haven't taken them out yet.)

I can't even bear to begin the search. Tall boot shopping is a nightmare, because apparently my calves are bigger than the average tall boot buyer's calves. Personally I have zero problems with my calves (Thank god I don't have to buy boots for my butt!), but I cannot zip up non-stretchy tall boots. (I tell myself that my muscle sits too high. And I'm terrified of doing any sort of calf exercises at the gym for fear of growing a more prominent muscle.) And the stretchy ones generally look, well, kind of cheap.

It's all so depressing.

So I went to the mall tonight...and didn't even look at boots. Instead I went in search of the long black skirt I need for my choir performances. I figured Sears might be a good bet, because, I rationalized, there aren't really any stylish clothes in Sears.

How wrong I was! The Sears at Eaton Centre sells Tevrow + Chase and Kenneth Cole. Some very cute stuff! Luckily for me they also had a nice big selection of ugly stuff. And I found a black skirt! I think it has a little too much flare at the bottom, but I bought it. For $30, which didn't seem too bad. (I know, I wanted to find something used, but that takes time! I'm a little short on time.) The surly woman at the cash told me I could get $10 off if I got a Sears Card, but I really don't want a Sears Card. Was that silly?

I'll deal with the boots at some point.

Tune in tomorrow for the BIG DAY!

Total debt: $250 :-)
Spent today: $8-ish (I charged the skirt!)
Weekly total: $107.74 (A bit over...)

4 comments:

Andrea said...

No, it wasn't silly. The interest rate on those cards are killer.

Random fact? I heard on the news or some other show the other day that large calves are hereditary, and there's not much you can do about them. I can't wear most tall boots for that reason, too. It sucks!

Anonymous said...

But you can take your boots to a cobbler to get them stretched (as long as real leather) - apparently it is way more common than you think..

It won't work miracles but it can give you a few centimetres!

Can't wait for tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

If large calves are hereditary, then guess where you got them from. I call mine cows as they are too old to be calves.

Anonymous said...

Tam -- have you tried Sterling for boots? They have cute stuff and not too expensive. I am your kindred wide-footed big-calved girl. ;)

Related Posts with Thumbnails