Thursday, November 27, 2008

Habitual badness

Why is it so easy to fall back into bad habits? It's maddening! The bad habit I'm referring to is the reckless use of credit.

That's right - my credit card has been making regular appearances in the past few weeks. There were a few Christmas presents (reasoning: I'm going to spend this money anyway, so I might as well do it now.), some magazine subscriptions (reasoning: These will give me more freelancing ideas and if I get them before the end of the year I can write them off on my taxes.) and my ugly choir outfit (reasoning: I have to have this to perform in the concert coming up.). Amazing! It happens so quickly.

Note to self: Stop using the damn credit card and pay off what you've already charged!

It's only a few hundred, so don't be too alarmed that I've fallen completely off the wagon. I just need to get it in check before things get out of hand.

And speaking of getting things in check, I charged something else to my credit card today: a Weight Watchers membership.

I've been struggling over this internally for more than a few weeks now, trying to figure out why I can't lose the 10-15 extra pounds on my own. I've done the WW thing several times, so I know how it all works, but after a meltdown this morning I realized that I need the structure of attending meetings and the support offered by the group setting.

I have to admit, having already had the WW experience more than once, I felt ashamed that I had to go back. Ashamed that those bad habits keep rearing their ugly (sugary goodness) heads. But after going to my first meeting today and listening to all the women speak, I'm done with any shame. It's a wasted emotion. Instead I will choose to feel empowered by the choice I'm making to take care of myself and my health.

One more bad habit to confess tonight. (Geez, you'd think I was Catholic!) I didn't do a good job of tracking all my spending this week. So let's just say that I spent my entire $100 and probably a bit more. Tomorrow is a new start, a fresh week. See you then.

Tax money goal: $2000
Current balance: $0

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I totally sympathize, but don't be discouraged. I am still very much in awe of your financial success so I think it's nice that you rewarded yourself with a few treats. Even if it is on credit.

Related Posts with Thumbnails