Friday, November 21, 2008

The grand finale and a new beginning

My original goal was my half-birthday, March 8, 2009. My real goal was December 31st, 2008.

In the end, it has taken me 277 blog posts, lots of them whiny and plenty of them boring, to get here. But I'm here. I did it.

I PAID OFF ALL MY STUDENT LOANS!!

In the past 11-ish months I've managed to pay of the final $11,270.90. In total my two rounds of school cost me $32,000. I cannot begin to do the math on how much I paid in interest during the past 11 years, which is probably a good thing. I think the number would cause me to curl up in the fetal position and cry for a good long time.

And now is not the time for crying - it's the time for celebrating!!

Many of you have asked me how I'm going to celebrate. Truth is, this weekend is already claimed as far as celebrations go, because it is the DP's mom's birthday. But next weekend I'm thinking a little visit to the spa might be in order... A massage, which I can claim on my insurance, and a facial. And lots of time lounging around in a bathrobe in public. Pure decadence.

And don't worry, I'm not closing down shop here at Freedom 33.5! I'm just changing direction: Rather than watching my debt go down, you can watch my savings go up! The first order of business is re-saving my tax money for all the freelancing I've done this year. (More than $7000 worth! Not too shabby, if I do say so myself.) After that I will be re-paying the DP in the form of saving. But more on that when we get there.

I'm anticipating some major challenges in the near future. How do I not just spend like crazy now that this weight has been lifted? And I'll need your help with them.

And speaking of you guys, I have to say a huge, enormous



(Hmmm... I was hoping that picture would be bigger. Ah well, you get the drift!)

I couldn't have done it without you. All of you. Whether you posted comments or cheered me on in person or just silently came along for the journey, you guys were instrumental in helping me accomplish this huge goal. And you've all made me feel so good about myself! I never would have imagined anyone asking me for financial advice! I truly can't thank you all enough.

And I can't believe how excited I am to have financial goals! I guess I'm truly a grown-up now. No going back.

So, for old times sake...

Total debt: $0

And now for new times...

Tax money goal: $2000
Current balance: $0
Spent today (because my budget isn't going anywhere): $8-ish

I'll be up north this weekend, but I'll be back on Monday.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

CONGRATS! That's such a huge achievement, lady! Wheeee!

Let's have a celebratory brunch soon!

chantelguertin said...

That's SO fantastic!!!! Congratulations on reaching your goal!!! The spa sounds like a perfect way to celebrate - enjoy!

jillyb said...

CONGRATULATIONS TAMMY!!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails