Thursday, November 6, 2008

Drinking to my health

I couldn't resist the urge for a treat this afternoon, so I thought I'd try something new at Starbucks - a green tea latte. Everywhere I go lately, I hear of someone ordering one or drinking one, and I got curious. It seems like a great idea! Green tea = antioxidants (to protect me from disease). Latte = more milk, which I don't drink enough of (to keep my bones healthy and strong). In fact, it almost sounded like something I should have. You know, for my health!

I looked it up on the Starbucks website beforehand and discovered that it also has a hint of mango in it and is about the same amount of calories as my beloved chai latte. Off I go in hot pursuit of a new flavour sensation.

I wish I could tell you that I fell in love with a steamed beverage today, but the truth is that I poured half of it out so I could recycle the cup. It just had a distinctly fake flavour to me. Plus I looked it, which I don't recommend. It's very, very green. Bad bridesmaid dress green. Not pretty at all. And, as if those things weren't bad enough, after I poured out the last of it, there was a mound of some sort of congealed powder stuck to the bottom of the cup. So it wasn't actual brewed tea, which I kind of figured from the colour, meaning that there's a good chance not a single antioxidant was present.

Alas, I thought, back to my beloved chai. Until one of my team members at work asked if I've ever had a London Fog... Apparently it's Earl Gray tea (my fave) with steamed milk and a shot of vanilla!

It's good to try new things, right?

Between my disappointing treat, some new lip balm and drinks and munchies with some lovely ladies after work, it was a bit of a spendy end to the week.

Total debt: $2400 and a bit (Tomorrow I'm forecasting record lows...)
Spent today: $26.37
Weekly total: $132.37 (As I suspected.)

3 comments:

Andrea said...

Starbucks sucks in general for most steamed drinks. They make a decent chai, but it's not fabulous, in my humble opinion! And their green tea latte is horrible. Just horrible. So is their London Fog, if you ever ask them to make one (although they call it a 'tea misto'.) Try a green tea latte somewhere else, is my advice. Hell, mom makes a good one at home! :)

Sarah said...

Okay, I have a few words... first, the Green Tea Latte at Second Cup is amazing. I fell in love with it, and thought that the one at Starbucks was going to be the same, and the one at Starbucks (and please mind my crassness) tastes a little like vomit. Second, the London Fog is lovely, but if you are looking to save a little money and still have something tasty and treat-like, order an Earl Grey tea with two pumps of White Chocolate flavour. They only charge you for the tea and a flavour shot, and it is super tasty. I have become a little addicted, actually... sad. Granted, you aren't getting in any milk credits, but still ridiculously delish!

Tammy said...

Great suggestions ladies! Apparently I need to expand my coffee shop selections all around.

Related Posts with Thumbnails