Friday, November 7, 2008

For the love of hair

Lessons I learned at the salon today:

- The surroundings need to be fancy and comfortable in order for me to enjoy spending almost $100 on a haircut. Cramped, crowded, noisy spaces don't cut it. (Ha ha, I made a pun. They don't "cut" it... get it!?)

- If you subscribe to as many magazines as I do, there's probably nothing new for you to read at the salon.

- Stylists that wear utility belts filled with various scissors, combs and clips look like extras from a Ben Stiller/Adam Sandler/Chris Rock movie that parodies salon culture.

- I don't find fancy comb-spinning impressive. It just looks showy.

- Even though a stylist is named Hero, like your favourite character on a television drama that has a cast of thousands, that doesn't mean you're going to love him.

- Even though you ask for something else, you're bound to leave the salon with a reverse bob.

- There's no joy in flitting around from salon to salon, trying to re-create the magic you have with that one special stylist. It ain't gonna happen.

So, my haircut is fine. The DP likes it. I'm not offended by it. Time will tell if it grows out nicely. It's just...not exactly what I hoped for. But I recognize that I may have been hoping for something that wasn't possible given the hair I started with. And I will also acknowledge that I may not have explained my desires to the stylist in the most cohesive of manners. Alas...

My beloved stylist better be back at work in the new year. Back injury heal thyself!

Total debt: $1400 and a bit (I know you know this, but I wanted to say it again!)
Spent today: $9.67 (Plus $90 on the haircut, but I kept money aside for that, so it doesn't have to go in my weekly budget. Because I said so!)

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails