Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Shuttlecock Shock!

It is all Olympics, all the time in our house right now. And I'm loving it! I don't think I've watched this much of the Olympics since I was in grade 8. Tonight, while we ate perogies and corn on the cob, we watched women's weight lifting. One of the women really didn't look feminine to me, which made me wonder if they ever look "under the hood," if you know what I mean. A few more thoughts:

What is up with synchronized diving? Sure, it's cool. But isn't regular diving hard enough? Why do they have to do it together? It's not like they make gymnasts vault in sync.

And speaking of gymnastics, the new scoring system sucks. Or maybe it's much better for them, but it sucks for me, because I have no idea how it works. And now there's never going to be a commentator screaming "A perfect 10!" like back in Nadia and Mary Lou's days. Which makes me kind of sad.

And speaking of sad, I wonder if my dad is sad that golf isn't an Olympic sport. Why not? I'm confused.

And speaking of confused, the DP has become enigmatic to me, all because of Olympic badminton. Late last week he had a mini tirade about how ridiculous it is that badminton is an Olympic sport. He said - I'm paraphrasing here - that things you can play in your backyard shouldn't qualify as Olympic sports. (This argument may have a few holes in it, but that was his defense.) This morning, while watching badminton, he decided that it was actually really cool. Then he got totally engrossed in the match and literally made one of those loud "Oooooo!!" noises that sports fans make when the person they're rooting for misses a point. I looked at him and said, "I have never ever seen you react to a sporting event before today." And he just shrugged his shoulders. So I'm justifiably confused about who this person that I live with is.

And speaking of where I live, I would like to offer our couch to any wayward male Olympic divers and swimmers, provided they will walk around the apartment without their shirts on.

Go Team Canada!

Total debt: $5149 and a bit
Spent today: $7.50-ish (I had to buy lunch.)

And now, for your viewing pleasure:



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, those swimmers will be welcome, but the invitation extends to the women's beach volleyball players. Same terms.

DP

:P

sweetpea said...

Now imagine that your darling partner doesn't work and every night when *you* come home to relax in some peace and quiet you are regaled with tales of every Olympic moment from the day (and we don't even have cable!). But last night I was knitting on the couch while the TV was on and I turned to S and said, "I can't believe we're watching synchronized diving!"

Anonymous said...

I loved those clips you posted! Sigh...for me, there's just something missing from the games these days. I can't put my finger on it, but watching those clips and remembering the mania that used to exist around Olympic time was a fun trip down memory lane. :)

Tammy said...

Ah, the Olympics! It will be over before we know it and then... Gossip Girl shall return. (And Pushing Daisies and Grey's Anatomy and The Office and Chuck and Ugly Betty and...I think I watch a little too much TV!)

Related Posts with Thumbnails