Thursday, May 1, 2008

"I do, but at what cost?"

At the risk of sounding like an advertisement for the Slice Network, "Rich Bride, Poor Bride" is another show I can't seem to get enough of lately.

(I also enjoy "Last Ten Pounds Bootcamp" and "Bulging Brides." What is wrong with me!? It's like I've reached the age of a certain demographic and I've bought into everything they're selling. But I refuse to watch "The Bachelor" or any other reality show where people are searching for love.)

Part of my fascination with RBPB comes from the fact that I know one of the wedding planners. He directed me in several shows during my college years and was very good to me. The rest of the fascination comes from people's crazy weddings, the exorbitant amount of money they spend, and their breakdowns.

Tonight was the season premiere and the couple spent just under $55,000 (!!!) on a huge, 18th century Venetian masked ball wedding. Insane! They made their wedding party spent $150 each on costume rentals. And they made them learn a big dance. It was over-the-top.

What is it about weddings that make people want to throw away so much money? In tonight's episode it was because the woman had harboured performing dreams that she'd never pursued. She was putting on her own performance, complete with costumes, props and sets. But doesn't that all take away from the point of it?

Ah well, at least it provides me with some entertaining television viewing!

Total debt: $7560 and a bit (damned interest)
Spent today: $0 (Thank you Starbucks card!)
Weekly total: $84.73 (Plus the $35 for dry cleaning stuff, which I allowed myself as extra.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A funny thing happens when a gal gets that ring on her finger. I've seen even the most level-headed, spend-conscious brides (ahem...I may or may not be talking about myself!;) start out with a modest budget only to see it explode by the time the walk down the aisle is over.

I blame it on two things: The first is that the wedding industry is set up to bilk until the cows come home. The exact same dinner/drink package at a hall/hotel/golf course usually has a different price tag when it's for a wedding as opposed to an annual accountants' jambouree. Same goes for photographers, stationers, dressmakers, hairdressers...you name it!

The second is that people tend to not make very good decisions when they're stressed. Sure, at the beginning it's all hunky-dory, but when the wedding is weeks away and your mother-in-law is driving you nuts about the seating plan, your bridesmaids are being divas and your groom has been everything except for helpful...well that's when the best-laid plans go awry!

I agree that $50,000 for a party is ridiculous...but not all that surprising....sadly.

I say elope and go to an ACTUAL Venetian Ball!

Related Posts with Thumbnails