Friday, May 23, 2008

Cheap and curly

I'm fairly certain that I've already explained my position on hair products here on this blog, but in case I haven't, here it is:

I believe in expensive haircuts and styling products, but inexpensive shampoo and conditioner.

There. I said it.

While I am blessed to have hair that can be easily straightened and tamed by a hair dryer and a quality, expensive hair straightener (that I got for a steal!), I also have the option to pull out the diffuser that I paid $5 for many, many years ago and walk out the door with a head full of curls. Yes, the curls can sometimes be unpredictable, but they're also kind of cute.

(I'm still in denial about how many years I spent perming my naturally curly hair. A special shout out to a former curly-headed roommate* who showed me the light.)

However, I can't achieve either look without some quality styling products. Some of the products are expensive enough the they give me pause, but still I buy them. Luckily a little goes a long way, so at least they last!

My point, which I am getting at via this circuitous post (as twisty as my curls), is that until this morning I was unconvinced that drugstore grade product could get the job done. I have tried. There have been many a bad hair day. The boyfriend long ago gave up consoling me and instead perfected his rolling of the eyes as I belly-ache about the lacklustre results that the drugstore stuff yielded.

Slight digression now, although entirely related to the rest of this post: I am often lucky to be the recipient of slightly used products that my straight- or wavy-haired friends have purchased in hopes that they too will find out that they have natural curls. This is great for both my budget and my insatiable desire to try new products. And I am always grateful for the donations. Now, back to the regularly scheduled post.

This morning I used some donated drugstore-grade curl product and I was quite pleased with the result! It wasn't as great as my salon stuff, but it was more than passable. And that inspires me to continue searching the aisles for lower-priced products, so I can stick to the budget and be the most beautiful Tammy I can be.

But the REAL excitement of this post is my new total debt number. I had to pay a little more than I had allotted this week, but I'll figure out where the extra money is coming from later. For now... (cue the fanfare)

Total debt: $6999 and a bit (UNDER $7000!!!)
Spent today: $9.04 (And that included delicious chai gelato. And then I had to go for a run to work it off!)

*She's formerly my roommate, not formerly curly-haired. She continues to be curly-haired.

2 comments:

Andrea said...

Do you believe that I STILL have my DevaCurl products from my trip out there? I'm still not finished them, though I'm picking up some more in Seattle this weekend.

Now THAT STUFF is good stuff :P

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your new all time low!! You must be thrilled. Keep up the good work!

xoxo, AL

Related Posts with Thumbnails