Thursday, February 21, 2008

The struggle within

Why does Winners inspire insanity in me? It's so weird.

I had a crazy day at work today, so I worked through lunch. However, I suddenly found there was a lull around 1:30pm, so I grabbed the opportunity to step away from my desk and venture out into the world. With my limited time, Winners seemed like the best option. I hadn't been there in at least a couple of weeks, so there was bound to be something pretty to look at.

And there were! Plenty of pretty things, actually. But I wisely do not bring my wallet with me when I go to this Winners.

(It's a pretty flimsy plan to stop me from spending, since the Winners is so ridiculously close to work that I could easily just go back down after work, when I am once again in possesion of my credit cards. and buy to my heart's content. Thankfully, I generally return to my senses at some point during the afternoon and abandon mission.)

Anyway, so I'm looking around and I spy a Calvin Klein dress for $69.99. And this is what happens in my brain:

Logical lobe - Cool! A Calvin Klein dress. And at such a great price.

Illogical lobe - CALVIN KLEIN! CALVIN KLEIN! CALVIN KLEIN! I HAVE TO HAVE IT!

LL - It's pretty, but that babydoll style would make me look pregnant. Not really what I'm going for.

IL - It's looks just like something Sabrina Vanderwoodsen would wear on Gossip Girl. She has the best hair. If I owned that dress, my hair would look like hers and my life would be better. I MUST HAVE IT!

LL - I hope some rail-thin 16 year-old snaps this up to wear to her prom. She'd certainly stand out from the frothy pink confections the other girls will wear.

IL - If I own this dress, the universe will provide me with a reason to wear it. Or maybe I can just dress it down with a pair of Old Navy flip flops and wear it around the house. The boyfriend was just complaining about my loungey pants... I can't not buy it. If I don't have this dress, the boyfriend will totally break up with me because he's tired of living with a "Before" from What not to Wear. I'l never meet another man who makes my heart skip a beat, and I will die alone. That's it. I'm buying the dress!

LL - Ah, but we don't have a wallet with us. Do you love it enough to start your life of crime by stuffing it under your puffy jacket?

IL - Well... we can just hide it on this rack over here and come back after work to get it! Problem solved.

And as soon as I tear myself away from the dress, I see something else.

LL - Oh, cute Matt and Nat purse! Red. Nice.

IL - MATT AND NAT PURSE! MATT AND NAT PURSE! MATT AND NAT PURSE! I have to have it.

LL - It's a pretty big purse. I do have a big purse. What I actually need is a smaller purse.

IL - I could fit everything in it! Including my gym stuff. If I had this purse, I would workout more. And then I'd be super hot. And healthy!

LL - Of course, my last Matt and Nat purse sort of fell apart. And I've heard the same thing from other people. Best to get something $40 less expensive.

IL - Nobody makes purses as cute as Matt and Nat. Without this Matt and Nat purse I will not only be unhealthy, but also un-cute.

I'm telling you, it's mentally tiring to be me at Winners. However, the logical lobe won and I made it through the day without spilling a single cent. Thank goodness.

Okay, everything resets tomorrow. It's a new week!

Total debt: $9990 plus some more
Spent today: $0
Weekly total: $106.48 plus another $40-ish, plus some credit card debt

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails