Thursday, February 28, 2008

It's just lunch!

Do you ever feel like you're just limping to the end of the week? That was totally my day today. I had really active dreams all night, so I woke up bone tired. And then I had to venture out into the ridiculously arctic air, which didn't help at all.

I was also limping financially. You see, I bring my lunch to work about 98% of the time. Usually I save some of whatever we have for dinner the night before. But last night there were no leftovers except about a half cup of roasted veggies. And I didn't have any soup in the pantry, so I decided lunch would need to be purchased.

(Truth be told, there were lunch possibilities in my fridge and pantry, but I was a bit on the lazy side due to the exhaustion. Now you know.)

I checked my wallet. A single toonie was surrounded by a few odd dimes and pennies. Mmmmm... Not exactly a promising lunch fund. I suppose I could have gone and bought a can of soup and brought a few pieces of bread from home, but at this point the mere idea of getting to buy something for lunch was the only thing motivating me to get my butt out the door to work. So I did what any self-respecting budgeter would do.

I raided the laundry money.

It felt pretty pathetic and I'm sure I will regret it come laundry day, but I was able to scrounge up three loonies and five quarters. So with just under $7, I was ready to go!

I ended up at Dominion where I spent $5.64 on some sushi. Very yummy and not something I ever whip up at home, so it also felt like a treat. Trouble was, I still wanted a treat of the sweet variety as well... Thankfully, my favourite bakery in St. Lawrence Market has TO DIE FOR cookies that are chewy, sizable and only 75 cents. (Or 3 for $2, which is how I normally buy them. But I didn't have $2 left. Nor, for that matter, do I ever need to eat 3 of these cookies at once. It's kind of gross and I always regret it. But the joy is in the eating, my friends!) So across I went and shelled out the money for a delectable chocolate chip cookie.

Now, if this is where the tale ended, I would be well on my way to the budget hall of fame. But I made a stop on the way home. I knew there was no fro yo in the freezer, and the boyfriend and I pretty much view all the food that we eat during the day as a means to get to the fro yo. We are addicted.

I could have easily called the boyfriend and asked him to pick some up on his way home, but for some reason I went in and did it myself. I didn't have the cash - I was down to some pennies and a nickel in my wallet - and I didn't want to go into overdraft for fro yo. So I charged it. Yes, ladies and gentlemen, I charged the fro yo.

And when the boyfriend found out, he said, "Why didn't you ask me to get it?"

I have no good answers.

But tomorrow is payday, so that credit card will be paid off.

Total debt: $9990 plus some more
Spent today: $5.64 (Plus I charged $6.11)
Weekly total: $91.32 cash and $78.11 charged

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails