Sunday, February 24, 2008

Oh, the regret

I have been in a perma grump state today. I am really, really mad at myself for spending that extra $72 yesterday. (I'm also curious about how much I was charged for the one bottle of water that I purchased...) What was I thinking!? It was so unnecessary.

And this morning, when I put on a t-shirt with a chocolate sauce stain on it (All of my clothes have chocolate sauce stains on them. I'm fond of a little sauce with my fro yo.), I realized that I could have treated myself to a couple of new $8 t-shirts from Joe Fresh. Stain free. But no. I paid $65 to get my hair washed and get a little mud on my face. Stupid.

The poor boyfriend had to put up with my grump all day. He's a trouper.
On the bright side, it was a very good grocery shop today. I guess we didn't need a ton of stuff after our $160 shop last week! But first:

I am a big believer of points cards. I am more than happy to carry around a wallet stuffed full of frequent buyer cards if they eventually lead to free things. And I have no patience for waiting around until I have a HUGE amount of points. As soon as I have enough to get something free, I grab it! I could die tomorrow and I would hate to leave behind unused Optimum points.

All this to say that I cashed in my Air Miles for a $20 Dominion coupon.

(It takes me forever to rank up Air Miles of any significance, since I don't have a car and I'm at the liquor store maybe 6 or 7 times a year. My credit card is a PC one, so I earn free groceries anyway.)
**Side note. I just hit a few keys, because I'm totally multitasking as I type this, and thought I'd lost the post thus far! Oh, my grump would have taken on new stature.

So, back to groceries. Not only did I have a $20 coupon, but the boyfriend brought a big bag of his change to put in the change machine and we got another $26. So our grocery total was only $21 and change, making my portion just $10.50. Sweet!

You'd think that my grump would have gone away after that, but it hung on. I just felt crappy about my debt today. I haven't had much luck with freelancing lately, so I'm not getting to make the extra payments I was hoping for. Plus it's February. For a short month, it's taking forever to get through.

I'm really anxious to finish my taxes, because I have a nice big chunk of money put aside from my freelancing and I want to know how much of it needs to go to the government and how much I can put on the debt. But when you work in more than one place and you do stuff on the side, you have to wait for various T4s. I'm not so good at waiting. Particularly in February, when all my patience for waiting is taken up waiting for spring.

So, the grump stuck with me. Until the boyfriend and I took a later afternoon trip to our favourite mag store. And I got to see the Hollywood issue of Vanity Fair. (Great Hitchcock spread.) And the Elle with Amy Adams on the cover. (Cool "Sound of Music" fashion story.) And all sorts of others. Even though I couldn't bring one home, I still enjoyed the perusal.

Now I am finally grump free. Particularly since I'm watching the Oscars and messaging with my dear old friend in Montreal. (Our friendship is old and dear to me, she's a total hottie!) It's our tradition to either watch awards shows together, so we can discuss the dresses and jewels, or at least communicate continually throughout them. It's much fun. So far, this is our favourite:
I'm still sad about the debt, but tomorrow is a new day. You just never know when things will suddenly turn around. Besides, the boyfriend and I might go halfsies on a CNIB lottery ticket...
Total debt: $9990 plus some more
Spent today: $24.04 (Groceries and some drugstore stuff.)

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails