Monday, February 11, 2008

Spend nothing Monday

I've discovered the perfect way to spend nothing! Stay home sick with a wicked sore throat.

After a whole weekend of "I think my throat is sore," I woke up around 5am to some pretty significant pain and swollen glands. The weird thing was that I didn't have any other symptoms. So I put in a call to a lovely Telehealth nurse and she told me I was probably contagious, so I shouldn't venture out if I didn't have to. I have taken her advice and therefore not spent a single dime. Little does she know how she helped me make up for a rather spendy few days.

(She also told me to constantly drink water all day. Well, let me tell you, it was a good thing I was not at work. I became one with my WC today.)

Since I was home, I watched Oprah. (Sometimes I catch it in the evening, on time-shifting, but not often.) It was a "Extreme Home Makeover" episode, but not with Ty Pennington. And they took two weeks rather than one, but it was just like an episode of EHM. Although Nate didn't scream at the camera constantly, which I really appreciated. I don't know about you, but I cannot watch EHM without crying. I swear, I am way too emotional for my own good.

But these big home makeover shows leave so much unexplained. Like, how do these families afford property taxes on their new luxury homes? Or insurance? And how does the rest of the neighbourhood, which I'm assuming looks a lot like the "before" picture of the chosen house, react to a dream home in their midst? Does the jealousy make them crazy? Do people try to break in to steal all the flat-screened TVs? (There was one EHM where 8 siblings were living together after their parents had both died, and the show gave them a WALL of EIGHT flat-screened TVs, so everyone could have their own. A little overboard, no?)

The other problem with these shows is that they create the "want." Suddenly I find myself wondering why I don't have a double-sided fireplace that can be seen from inside or outside the house. And where is my family-sized bathtub? (Although, I haven't taken custody of my three nieces to save them from dirty hair and lack of schooling...)

It might be time to buy a lottery ticket and start praying. But first: saltwater gargle. Again.

Total debt: $10,500 plus a little bit more
Spent today: $0

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well kid, looks like you and I are suffering from the same thing. Never ending sneezing and runny nose was the next phase for me. Strange thing is that other than that all is great. Mine was a little gift from grandson number two.

Related Posts with Thumbnails