Sunday, January 20, 2008

Wake me up come spring

Nothing was going to go right today.

I was sort of ridiculously exhausted this morning, but dragged myself out of bed anyway, because I had somewhere I had to be. The last thing in the world that I wanted to do was get dressed and head out into the -23 degree windchill, but I am not one to shy away from obligations. So, a subway, a bus and a walk later, I arrive at the necessary destination only to discover that the person that I am there to see has completely forgotten about our engagement and is out of town. Big sigh.

Back I go - walk, wait for bus, bus ride and a subway ride. I arrive home and mope around for a bit, until I decide (with much encouragement from the boyfriend) to go to the 1:30pm yoga class at the gym. We make plans to meet afterwards so we can visit the brand new Book City location in our neighbourhood. Off I go, back into the freezing cold, to the gym where the regularly scheduled programming has been interrupted for some sort of fitness free-for-all. They're sampling all the different types of classes they offer by doing 20 minutes of each class in a row. A fitness-apalooza, if you will.

Now I have a bit of a dilemma. I have dressed for a yoga class followed by a short jaunt, meaning that I am wearing a sports shirt with a built-in-bra that can withstand downward dogs, but not much bouncing of any kind. I am also wearing my old running shoes, since I was intending to be barefoot during the fitness portion of my trip, and knee socks rather than athletic socks, so that I would be a bit warmer outside. However, the gym is halfway between home and the Book City, so it seems dumb to turn back at this point. And, to top it all off, I don't have my phone with me, so I can't call to make our meeting time earlier or anything.

None of these things would have bothered me normally, but it's January. And I am seriously seasonally affected at this time of year. Forget the fact that we had a blue sky, sunshiney day today! I was on the verge of tears for most of it. And when I didn't want to cry, I just sat around feeling nothing. For no good reason at all. SO frustrating!

And you know what helps with the winter blues? Why buying things, of course! Here are the things that I contemplated buying today:
A very large chocolate bar (One of the PC ones.)
A DVD rental (I really want to see "Once.")
At least four different books (Including "The End of the Alphabet," which looked really intriguing.)
The current issues of Glamour, Allure (SJP on the cover! She was so cute on Project Runway last week.), Toronto Life, and Vogue.





What I actually did buy:
10 Timbits
A bottle of water

What I didn't consider buying, but would have if I had money and a reason to wear it:
A gorgeous teal blue dress in the window of Want. Perfect outfit for a summer garden wedding!

Oh, and I did manage a very gentle 40 minutes on the cross trainer, which is better than nothing, I suppose. And I will hopefully make it until spring. Fingers crossed...

Total debt: $11, 000 and change
Spent today: $2.48

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails