Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Come back to me

How can time sometimes pass sooo slowly? I mean, on a Saturday morning I can roll out of bed bright and early at 9am, make myself a smoothie, open the paper, blink a few times and suddenly it's 3:30pm. Then I shower and try to make my second day hair not LOOK like second day hair...and it's 9:15pm. Now, some of you may consider 9:15pm on a Saturday night just the beginning of your weekend debauchery, but I'm generally already in my loungey pants by then (or STILL in my loungey pants, depending on the day), thinking about what I'm going to have for breakfast on Sunday morning.

But apparently Tuesday afternoons is when the world makes up for all that super fast weekend time by ceasing to revolve at all. And on the last Tuesday afternoon in January, in particular, the world actually turns backwards just a little bit every moment that you aren't watching the clock. Admittedly, there weren't many of those moments this afternoon, but just enough to make the afternoon seem interminable.
Any idea what makes an interminable afternoon a little more palatable? Why chocolate, of course!

(There's been an unexpected side benefit to blogging about my spending issues. Suddenly I'm accountable for all the junk that I eat! Because I don't buy crap at the grocery store, except frozen yogurt, but the boyfriend and I have an addiction that cannot be curbed. Anyway, apparently January equals junk food to me. That's not good. And I shouldn't wait until February to stop! Although February is only a couple of days away...)
So, despite the fact that I had free lunch at our staff meeting today (pizza and salad), I paid a visit to my favourite vending machine and purchased a chocolate bar. And you know, the machine was a little on the empty side, so there were only three chocolaty things to choose from. So I picked the best of the three, but it wasn't what I would have picked if I'd gone out into the world and picked from a wider selection. So after I wolfed it... I mean, savoured it, I felt bad both about the empty calories AND about the wasted money.
How many times must I make the same mistake before I learn the lesson?
Anyway, the afternoon finally ended and I headed out to the movies with a friend from work. If you're thinking to yourself "How can she afford a movie? They're so expensive," I've got news for you:
I paid 4, count 'em 4 dollars to watch Atonement tonight. Isn't that brilliant!? You can hardly even buy a drink for $4 at the movies! You definitely can't rent a new release for $4. Sure the theatre was tiny - about 60 seats - but I don't need screens that are 5 storeys high or seats that were originally made for an airplane. I just need a great story, good actors, pretty costumes and gorgeous cinematography. And I got all of that for $4 tonight. Good times.

Dinner was some takeout sushi from Dominion, which is my favourite movie dinner. I used to eat the $6 nachos, but I began to wonder what the plastic cheese was doing to my innards...

The last Tuesday in January is done now. Thank goodness!

Total debt: $11,000 and change
Spent today: $13.79

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails