Sunday, January 27, 2008

The hidden costs of brunch

One of the most difficult things about sticking to a budget, besides never having that "new shirt" sort of feeling, is finding ways to visit with friends that don't break the bank. Luckily I have never been one to bond with people over pricey cocktails at trendy hot spots. Don't get me wrong - I like the idea of getting dressed up, going to a bar and blithely purchasing several fabulous martinis in a row, each more fancy and expensive than the last. But I just can't fathom dropping $40, $50, $75, $100 on booze. In one night. The mere thought of it makes me sort of woozy. And not in a good way.

But what better way to pass time during the blahness of January than by visiting with people that you never get to see enough of. So if you look in my agenda, you'll see a whole lot of coffee dates penciled in. Providing I can avoid the chai lattes, I can have a tea, a cookie and a great catch-up session for under $4. And if I could put a price on all the good these dates do for my heart and soul, I would be back in the black in no time flat.

As much as I love a coffee date, there's something even better and that is brunch. It is, by far, my favourite restaurant meal. And if you don't go crazy, it can be pretty economical. So this morning I crawled out of my warm bed and headed downtown. It was my turn to choose a spot and I picked someplace completely new to both my friend and me. The menu online looked a little on the pricey side, but it also looked too delicious to pass up. I figured I could swing it.

Everything was amazing! From our cozy little table in an alcove by the window to the complimentary plate of banana bread that came before our meals. And, of course, our breakfasts were pretty spectacular. Then the bill came.

Let's just say, we were a bit surprised. I chose one of the least expensive items on the menu at $9 and, when prompted by our server, opted for a half salad, half frites on the side. He failed to mention that having half and half would cost an extra $2. The rudest awakening, though, was the price of my teabag and hot water - $3!! I guess I only have myself to blame, since I should have checked the menu, but next time I'm bringing a tea bag from home! Seriously.


I can't say I won't go back, because the food was just so good and I'm desperate to try just about everything else on the menu, but I'll be a little more careful next time. I also can't say that I'm sorry I went, because on top of the yummy food, there was also wonderful conversation. All in all, an excellent way to start the day.

Had to stop at the grocery store on the way home, though, because I can't seem to remember everything I want for the week in one trip.

Total debt: $11,000 and change
Spent today: $24.99

2 comments:

Crissy Calhoun said...

hmm. it sounds like you were brunching at the same place I was brunching on Saturday -- Fire on the East Side? Excellent banana bread.

Tammy said...

You're such a sleuth!

Related Posts with Thumbnails