Thursday, January 17, 2008

The best-laid plans of mice and men often go awry


Winter can be a very expensive time, simply because you can’t just hang around outdoors unless you are dressed to do so. And wearing long johns all day at work, under my jeans, is not a comfortable idea. Let me explain…

I like to try to get away from the office during my lunch hour. I pack my lunch 98% of the time, like the good little budgeter that I am, and I eat it at my desk upon my return from whatever adventure I embark on. Well, in the summer that adventure can be as simple as taking my (library) book to the park across from my office and enjoying the sunshine from the safety of a shaded bench. You see – free and enjoyable! However, the other 9.5 months require a little imagination on my part.

Quite often I end up in the Toronto underground, idly browsing from store to store. I’m quite a good browser and don’t often feel the urge to purchase, particularly when I’m in a good headspace and firmly on track with my budget. However, January is the month of DEEP discounts. It is also the month of feeling blah. Combine a blah feeling and a sale price and suddenly I find I HAVE to have yet another cowl-necked sweater. This one in purple. Thus I am trying to avoid retail stores at the moment.

*Side note*
My boyfriend asked me to run an errand for him at Eaton Centre yesterday. I called him from the mall and asked why he disliked me so much. There were Sale signs EVERYWHERE! And a smattering of new spring merchandise in some stores. It was torture.
*Side note over*

Another way I pass the time is by browsing the latest magazines at my fave nearby mag store. It’s one of those great stores where no one gives you the fish eye for loitering and not buying anything. And, as I have mentioned, I love glossy mags. However, they tend to overheat this particular store to the nth degree, making it uncomfortable to hang out in my down-filled jacket. (Hmmm…maybe they aren’t so keen on people not buying things…)

So today I came up with a great idea! I decided to find the closest Toronto Public Library branch. You see, I love a library! Probably not surprising, given my penchant for pretty sentences and published tomes. I especially love a library with a periodical section, which would allow me to read the latest mags sans my winter jacket and – most importantly – for free! Turns out, the library was a lot closer than I thought, so I headed out at noon, excited and pleased at my ingenuity.

I arrived at the branch at approximately 12:10pm, grabbed the door handle and pulled. Locked. Locked? I noticed the hours stenciled to the door. On Thursdays, this location doesn’t open until 12:30pm! Have you ever heard of anything so ridiculous? What was I going to do?

I’ll tell you what I did, although I’m not proud of it. I went to Starbucks for a tea and a cookie, which I paid for by interact, leaving a whole $1 in my bank account until payday tomorrow. I was dejected and I turned to consumption and a cookie to comfort me. I’m not perfect people. I’m just…not.


Total debt: Just over $11,000

Spent today: $3.52

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Let me tell you about confirmation bias. Confirmation bias is concept that you look for things that confirm your decisions and you ignore or discount things that go against your decisions. Why am I telling you this.... ah ha, well keeping your loan in mind, I want to make sure that you do not fall into the throws of confirmation bias. Basically, I am going to be on viligent alert to ensure that you do not use your blog as an excuse to buy something. See the thing is there will be a day when you find that perfect pair of black stilletto shoes that just happens to be 85% off, dropping them down to a low-low cost of only $175!!! And well, in efforts to wrangle all the possible reasons why it is a good idea to buy these shoes, it will come to you - "I will have a great story for my blog on how much I have SAVED on these shoes!" And then, Tammy, you will be the victim of confirmation bias. Yes. It will be a tragedy. But don't worry, now that you know about the evils of confirmation bias, you will be far less susceptible! So forge on, and good luck with the debt reduction!!!!! < Okay so I really should stop procrastinating from studying my negotiations material; it's just seeping out in blather in the most unsuspecting places > Care :-)

Tammy said...

Thanks Care! Now I have been educated as well. And I plan to have many positive posts about how I DON't spend money willy nilly. Even if it's only to make you proud of me!

Arlene said...

Tam - I'm LOVING the blog. And I so support your struggle to pay down your debt. With no intention of discouraging you - but maybe to show you that I really DO understand - I've been trying to pay down growing debt since I was your age. I've become the Queen of Amalgamation!! Sadly, I'm nowhere near as disciplined as I think I am, or want to be. I'm going into retirement with debt ... bad, bad idea. But it's not a huge debt and I feel I can manage it. The trick is to STAY OUT OF THE STORES!! My personal bricks-and-mortar anchor is two-fold: Chapters stores, and HomeSense. I have to avoid them at all costs. On the internet, it's Lands'End. Dangerous site for me.

Anyhoo, all that to say, BONNE CHANCE!! I know you'll be able to do it. Just freeze your credit cards!

Love, Arlene

Related Posts with Thumbnails