Monday, January 21, 2008

A little less of a good thing


It's come to my attention that my blog should probably be a little fuzzier around the edges. That putting so much of my financial situation on the World Wide Web could potentially lead to something akin to that mid-90's Sandra Bullock vehicle, "The Net." (Oooo...I just looked up the movie on IMDB and the tagline is "Escape is impossible when you're caught in the net." A double entendre! Beautiful.) However, that being said, I am already enjoying the act of blogging and the way it makes me examine what I spend. So I'm still going to give you guys specific dollar amounts of what I spend each day, but I'm going to make my actual loan total a little less exact. I'm afraid that may take the edge off of the drama I'm trying to create, but sometimes edge must be sacrificed for practical reasons. Besides, considering I only make payments on my loan every two weeks or so, I could be overestimating the dramatic components of these missives on the whole...


Anyway, I decided today would be "Buy Nothing Monday," and have therefore managed not to purchase a single thing all day. (Hooray for me!) Considering that our kitchen is full of groceries and that I managed to entertain myself during lunch hour by going to the gym, which I've already paid for, it wasn't all that difficult.


Still, my early morning did bring the end to a number of items that I use on a regular basis. First it was my shave gel, then it was the soap, then I noticed that we're down to the last few rolls of toilet paper and we're out of Q-tips. Plus we only have two bananas left and we both eat a banana with our breakfast every morning. To top it all off, I somehow leaned on our wooden drying rack and cracked the damn thing right in half!


Now, I know that a drying rack is not as essential as, say, shave gel (I am hirsute. I cannot tell a lie.), but we do have a lot of clothes that don't go in the dryer, so we use it every week. And since the dryers in our building SUCK, we often have to lay out the rest of our clothes, which are still damp after an hour's ride in the dryer for $1.50, on all of the other available surfaces in the apartment. Then they need time to dry, so we leave them overnight...then we go to work...and then we're starving when we get home, so we make dinner...then we sit down to blog...and then the cat curls up on our clean clothes for a bath and a nap. So, the drying rack does come in handy for the dark clothes that like to retain cat hair.


All this to say that money will need to be spent in the next few days, so don't congratulate me on my frugality just yet.


Alas, I'm off for my second gym visit of the day. This time it's yoga, so it's not like I'm Superwoman or anything. It's just something to do until the writers get the money they deserve and get on with entertaining me. (I mean, something to do that isn't folding laundry...)


Total debt: Just over $11,000
Spent today: $0

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Go, Go, Sissy! I'm so proud of you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails