Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Dunder Mifflin, this is Pam

I miss TV. I mean, I miss new TV. I miss that Thursday morning feeling. You know the one. When you can hardly get out of bed, because it's almost the weekend, but not quite, and then you suddenly remember that there's a new episode of (choose your favourite from the following list:) Cosby, A Different World, Cheers, Friends, Seinfeld, ER, Ugly Betty, The Office, Grey's Anatomy. And your entire outlook on the day suddenly brightens. (Thursday has long been my favourite day of the week. I'm pretty sure that's entirely based on the television schedules throughout my life.)

I was particularly looking forward to the television season this year, because last year I made do with no cable. It was my year of living alone and there was no way I could fit both a bachelor apartment on a subway line AND cable into my budget.

So when September rolled around, I embraced all my old favourites and welcomed in some new ones. I loved having "appointment television" scheduled into my week.

Enter the strike.

Now, don't get me wrong! I wholeheartedly support the writers!! I think the new communication landscape requires new parameters. I just wish I still had something to get out of bed for on Thursday mornings. I want to watch Michael Scott say something offensive to a marginalized member of society. I want to see Pam and Jim make eyes at each other. I want to gaze upon both John Krasinski and Rainn Wilson, trying to decide who I love more.

My one saving grace during this time has been that drug called TV on DVD. My friend (let's call her my pusher) burned me a copy of the first season of Veronica Mars back in the fall, before things got ugly in Hollywood. I held off watching until just before Christmas. Kristen Bell was sassy and so very smart. Her best friend Wallace was charming and likeable. There was boy drama. There were some cute clothes. I was totally hooked. I could easily watch three, four, five episodes in a single sitting. I started to dream about Veronica Mars.

But suddenly it was over. They had found Lily's killer. I was released. But I needed another fix!

I tracked season two down at a video store one subway stop from home. Not too bad! And they had a deal where I could rent three of the discs for a week for $9. Suddenly I found room in the budget. I turned down outings with friends, I ignored the boyfriend, I could barely concentrate on work. I just wanted to get home, put on my loungey pants, and watch more.

TV on DVD is dangerous, particularly 1-hour series, because the ending of every episode is constructed to be SO good and SO filled with tension that you will not forget to tune in SEVEN DAYS LATER. So it's nearly impossible not to go on to the next episode RIGHT WAY, given the opportunity. It's kind of maddening.

Anyway, before I knew it, season two was over and it was only the second week of January! But I didn't get too antsy, because I knew there was one more season to go.

But the video store one subway stop from home doesn't have season three. Nor does the one that is near work. Nor does the one that is halfway between home and work. Nor does the one that isn't anyway near home or work.

I don't know what to do. I can't decide how often is too often to call the stores and ask if they've received it yet. And I'm hesitant to start a whole new series, because rentals can get pricey! (Not to mention the withdrawal...) If only I had a new episode of The Office to quench my extreme thirst!

I miss you Veronica Mars. I might have to cave and just read all the detailed episode recaps on televisionwithoutpity.com. And I might need a Dunder Mifflin mug to ease the pain.

Total debt: $11,000 and change
Spent today: $7.36 (groceries)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you looked at TPL for seasons? They are normally very very good for that, but can have long waits if it's popular...

Also... another show with 4 seasons to keep you occupied (season 5 underway) is the L-Word!!! So very very good...

But I do feel your pain - but for me Home Reno shows have filled the void...

Tammy said...

Leave it to the librarian to suggest the library! Love it.
Carly, I did check TPL a while back, but they don't carry my beloved Veronica Mars. However, the boyfriend of another friend of mine who also reads the blog (the friend, not her boyfriend) has so kindly offered to make me a copy. !!!!! Very excited. I only hope I can keep up with the blog AND watch season three.

Anonymous said...

As someone without cable, I feel your pain and I have discovered my fix. Streaming TV online. Every network has a broadband now and for US content or older seasons, a simple google seach will lead to some Japanese site that the networks can't get to. It will leave you quivering. I've even figured out how to hook up my laptop to the TV, so it's 42inches instead of 4! Weeds, Entourage, Family Ties. Yes, Alex P Keaton... quiver.
Love from your pusher.

Tammy said...

Oh Mer! You're going to lead me down a dark path of unlimited television viewing where I never leave my house again!
Alex P. Keaton. How can I resist!? (I totally cried when he and Tracy got married, because I thought we were meant to be together I was 12!!!

Crissy Calhoun said...

i've taken to buying tv on dvd cause it truly is the best. whenever you need a show, lemme know: Weeds, Arrested Development, Buffy, some Angel, Firefly, The Tudors, House (from work but you can borrow it), and the first season of Dexter.

and if you can find Friday Night Lights, watch it cause that show is the best.

Related Posts with Thumbnails