Sunday, March 14, 2010

Rejoining the world

Well hello. Here I am, back from an unexpectedly extended break in blogging. Let me give you a quick rundown of the past week and a bit:

Eye Surgery: I do not know what the hell I was thinking going so blithely into elective surgery where they create a flap on the surface of my eye, flip it open and use lasers to fix my vision. I feel like one too many people told me how easy the surgery would be. Even one of the receptionists at the facility told me how squeamish she'd been about it before she'd finally had it done and that if she'd known how easy it would be, she'd have done it a lot sooner.

So I was not the least bit concerned going in that afternoon. I was anxious to take the sedative they were going to give me and then just lay back and let it all happen.

My in my naivete:



Friends, I could have used a stronger sedative.

The actual surgery, while not physically difficult, was highly stressful. They gave me two big stress balls, humourously designed to look like two veiny eyeballs, to squeeze and squeeze I did. It was pretty awful and I'm sort of glad that I didn't know it would be that bad. If I had, I'd still be wearing glasses.

But it was over in roughly 20 minutes or so and then the Husband whisked me home. I had to wear goggles all the way home and then to sleep for the next week, which was annoying and quite painful, since they pinched between my nose. The first couple of hours post-surgery were the worst. My eyes felt like they were full of sand and they were constantly streaming, which made my sinuses fill up, so I couldn't breathe. I was lying in bed, miserable, trying desperately to get to sleep and wondering what the hell I was thinking letting people near my eyes with lasers!?! (Oh, you can totally smell the burning during the surgery, too. Yuck.)



But once I had a whole bunch of sleep, I woke up to 20/20 vision. I was expecting a moment of revelation with a choir of angels singing in the background, but it's been a much quieter, slow appreciation of my newfound sight. The week was busy with making sure I was getting all my different eye drops, being careful in the shower and resting my eyes as much as possible, so I'm only now starting to have time to wonder at the marvel of modern medicine. It's damn cool!

All that optical healing seemed to tax my usually strong immune system and I started last week with a drippy, sneezy, runny head cold. Monday night I was in bed by 8:30pm and Tuesday I had to call in sick to work. By Friday I was finally starting to fee like myself again.

Sooooo... the March challenges kind of got lost in the hoopla. I've been eating lots of fruits and veggies, but I haven't written anything since my last blog post. Time to get back in the swing of things! But can I start tomorrow? This whole "spring forward" thing has totally thrown me off.

2 comments:

Arlene said...

Glad you're back and all's well!! But I agree, from the sound of things, you DID need more sedative. Yikes!

Ghostface Knittah said...

I've heard about the whole "smell the burn" thing, but I intentionally didn't tell you about it because I knew it would freak you out. But ya did it! Good job!

Related Posts with Thumbnails