Monday, September 1, 2008

Over the shoulder boulder holders

First off, I would like to invite any gentleman readers who are squeamish about lady's underpinnings to skip to the bottom of this post. I understand and I won't be offended.

This is your last warning.

Okay, here we go.

Despite several years of experience working for the largest lingerie chain in the country, I entered my 20s with a false sense of bra knowledge. When the old ones wore out I would drag myself to the mall, hole up in a dressing room with a dozen or so in what I believed to be the right size (36B) and then choose the ones that fit the least badly.

Does that sound familiar to anyone?

A few years ago, I experienced a bra rebirth. On a whim, a dear friend took me to Secrets From Your Sister where they gave me a professional fitting and helped me pick out some bras in my actual size (32D!). It was incredible. At first it was hard to get used to bras that fit so snugly, because my crappy old moulded cup bras were barely touching my body, but in the end I was extremely happy. The bras are definitely more expensive - no 5 for $25 sales to be found - but the quality (and the customer service) made the prices understandable.

Anyway, quite a while ago now, I lost a bit of weight. Not a ton, but enough that the snazzy, non-moulded cup bras got a little baggy in the cup area. They were not only unattractive, but also just not wearable under most of my clothes. So I'd been resorting to the old bras in my drawer, with cups that were also bigger than the boobs I have to fill them. It was kind of pathetic and if I'd been hit by a bus my mom would have been embarrassed for me.

All this to explain why the credit card got exercised yesterday. I hit my breaking point and went to get a couple of new ones. (32C this time.) It took all of 15 minutes to choose two, because the salesperson was so attentive and on the ball. She took another quick measurement of me and then she personally joined me in the fitting room (after I'd changed each time - get your mind out of the gutter) to adjust the straps and give me her opinion on how every model fit. It was incredible! So I got one basic beige bra that has convertible straps, so it can also be a halter or a criss-cross, and then one (Dad, cover your eyes) sexy black lace one. AND since I was a returning customer visiting them in their new location, they gave me 20% off the more expensive of the two! All in all, it cost me $147.35, but I believe it was well worth the money.

I finally threw out the old gross ones. Some of the old, non-gross ones I will hang on to and donate. The store actually has a "Dead Bra Day" on February 13th when you can bring in a used, but not too used, bra that they can donate to a shelter, and you receive 20% off a new one!

After my happy lingerie experience, I strolled across Bloor to Spadina Station - Bathurst Station was a sea of disgruntled people trying to get to the CNE and desperate for their first taste of Tiny Tom Donuts. It was a gorgeous, sunny Sunday in the city and I stopped to pick up some grapes from a fruit stand ($4.75) and a card ($4.47) from S.W.A.K. Then I did a little drugstore run before I arrived home, where I got almost everything on sale: toilet paper ($3.99 from $7.99), deodorant ($2.99 from $4.99), shave gel ($2.99 from $4.99) and tampons ($4.99 from $8.99). Okay, I also splurged on a full-price magazine, but I couldn't resist!

Total debt: $4765 and a bit
Spent yesterday: $32.50 (Plus that credit card charge.)

I'll try to write a quick blog about today a little later!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am having Secrets from your Sister withdrawal! Hali just does not have a store with the same attentive service. I have found two with a good selection, but one is extremely expensive (try $250 for a bra!!!) and the other has more apathetic sales staff. I need new bras - mine too have reached the sad droopy cup stage which does mean that they are now smaller than a FF cup but with everything that is happening means that I am resolved to live with the sagging cups for another few weeks.

Congrats on the purchases - I'm sure all four of you (you, the DP and the girls) will be very happy!

Anonymous said...

Tam - your post is so timely for me... Do you know I've NEVER been properly measured for a bra? And I actually went last Friday to a store in the hopes of doing just that, but the store was closed for renos!!! So I'm going after work tomorrow. I can't wait. And I can't believe that I will have spent about 47 years of my life wearing bad bras!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails