Sunday, March 8, 2009

Start spreading the news...

Guess what today is? It's the ".5" in "33.5." That's right, it's my half-birthday! I really wish I could celebrate by eating a large piece of cake. Or even half of a large piece of cake. But I did so much indulging last week that I have to put some serious reins on my intake of treats this week. Which is why I probably shouldn't go and check out the new location of my favourite cafe, even though it's but a hop, skip and a jump away from home. And I have a gift certificate for it...

Anyway, enough dreaming of pastries. I have better news to share.

After putting it off for a year, the DP and I have booked a trip to NYC for the end of April!

I hear they have good bakeries in New York...

We got a great deal on the flight (I even found a discount code online for an extra 15% off!) and I booked a 4-star hotel for less than the I paid for the super crappy hotel I stayed in last time. And while the hotel was still pricey, we get a complimentary upgrade based on availability. All in all, I'm extremely happy.

We're going ridiculously early on a Friday morning and then coming back Monday evening. Even though it's still something like 45 days away, I've already started making plans. This will be the first time we've been to the Big Apple together!

The DP has only gone to NYC for work, so he's never been to Central Park.



I want to walk across the Brooklyn Bridge.



He's never been to the Metropolitan Museum and I want to go to the MoMa. We're also going to do the Empire State Building, since he's never gone up and I've only been up at night. And we'll do a little cruise to get a good look at lady liberty.

The hardest thing to decide on, thus far, is what show to see. I mean, normally I plan all other New York events around the shows I will see. And I usually try to squeeze in as many as possible. But the DP isn't exactly a fan of the musical theatre genre. However, I maintain that he should see at least one show on Broadway in his lifetime and he agrees.

But which show?

I feel it should be something classic. A true representation of the genre. But the pickings are kind of slim this year. There are LOTS of shows based on movies, including Shrek, Billy Elliot, The Little Mermaid, 9 to 5 and Mary Poppins. On my own, I would perhaps see some of them, but they're not quite right for him. There are a couple of revivals currently, but I"m not a South Pacific fan and Guys and Dolls didn't get great reviews. I'm leaning towards West Side Story, which is opening soon. I'd love to see it! Now I have to convince the DP...

So that's the news. We're going to wake up in the city that never sleeps. Soon.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to make the DP sing half of the birthday song to me.

Tax goal: $2000
Current balance: $1900
Spent Friday: $1.45
Spent Saturday: $83

3 comments:

Paronomaniac said...

New York is so much fun! Very jealous as I have only been once and it was years ago.
Not sure if you know about this, but it might be worth checking out for your trip:
http://www.citypass.com/city/ny.html
I got this when I went and it's a pretty sweet deal.

Anonymous said...

Woohoo! Enjoy NYC! You deserve a little fun in the big apple :)

Tammy said...

Thanks Jen! A city pass may be the way to go.

Related Posts with Thumbnails