Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Lights, camera, edit!

It was a particularly insane day at work, because they rented out our main conference room and beautiful atrium for a film shoot. So when we all arrived there were a zillion extra people, oodles of equipment and cables running every which way. My desk is right beside the atrium, so I also got to see a little off-stage action and hear all the director's...well... directions. Oh, and the writer was set up in the kitchen tweaking the script, which was kind of amusing.

I was immediately brought back to my days on set in the late 90s and early 2000s. One might even think that it caused me to feel some nostalgia for that time.

Truth is, I was reminded how much I DON'T miss it!

Oh sure, it was sort of exciting to have it happening around me. Especially because my actual work today involved dealing with some really un-fun stuff. But in the end I was sort of ridiculously happy to have my own little desk rather than be one of the extras hanging out, bored, by reception. I used to feel like my soul was dying on set. I know that sounds dramatic, but sitting around doing nothing for hours upon hours upon hours... it's just not for me. I need to be active and productive, which isn't possible in those situations.

Plus, everything smells like the bottom of an ashtray on sets. I guess the whole crew smokes to pass the time, so all their clothes and equipment are constantly bathed in the stench. Gross.

It was a good day for the universe to remind me that I chose the right path. Because the un-fun part of the job I love really got to me. However, I'm now reminding myself that it's all a tiny speck in the grand scheme of the world and I shall let all the worry melt away. Actually, I'm heading to the gym where my trainer will make me forget by trying to kill me.

Should be fun!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails