Saturday, February 21, 2009

You gotta have heart and music

I just spent this snowy evening out at the theatre, seeing A New Brain. If you are a music theatre lover, here are four reasons you should get yourself a ticket:

1. The music is awesome! Fantastic harmonies, quirky fun numbers, and a couple of tug-your-heart ballads that might make you pull out a tissue. I love the way William Finn writes. The book is a little wonky though, so consider yourself warned.

2. The performances are absolutely top-notch. I couldn't find fault with any of them. And there's something so satisfying about hearing intricate, lush harmonies sung by amazing singers. Made me smile.

3. Acting Up Stage is a company built and run on pure passion. The artistic producer chooses shows that are more obscure, interesting works rather than relying on yet another classic revival to drive ticket sales. That's why I paid $40 to see this show rather than $80 to see Sound of Music.

4. It's still February and February sucks. February will suck less if you do something fun.

I think this was a worthwhile splurge... even though there are other things that require some money in my life. But more about that tomorrow!

Spent today: $41.50
Tax goal: $2000
Current balance: $1700

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails