Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Yet more trip stuff

What we did:

Skiing
It was so much easier than we thought it would be! Of course, our pro (yup, we had a pro all to ourselves) started us off as easy as possible – on a slight slope. But when we passed that he took us up the first chairlift (where I remembered how scared I am of chairlifts) and then up on another and another. We also took the new Peak to Peak gondola across to Blackcomb Mountain and skied over there. And we never fell once! I lost control momentarily on an icy patch, which gave me shaky legs, but I stayed upright. But the damn boots hurt so much that I was done by 1:30 p.m. The DP went up to the peak with the pro and skied all the way down while I went back to the hotel and tested the hot tub. It was hot. And good.



Snowshoeing
I was SO looking forward to this activity, but it did not live up to my romantic fantasies. The path was icy and therefore crunchy, plus we had to walk single file, so the noisiness of the snowshoes made it impossible to talk. So we had to walk along silently. In funny shoes. At least it was a gorgeous sunny day.



Dog-sledding
This one wasn’t on our itinerary, but when the DP saw a brochure he decided that we couldn’t let the opportunity pass. Because really, how often in your life do you have the chance to dog-sled? It was fun, but freezing! We got to take turns driving. Did you know that when you’re driving a dog-sled, you’re considered the sixth dog? As soon as we’d hit even a slight incline, the dogs would slow down and look back to see if the sixth dog was running. If we were riding along, they would stop. But if we ran, they would run. It was neat. Also, a dog peed on me. (Thank goodness for snow pants.)



Zip-lining
Let me be clear – I was scared. Really, really scared. The DP kept reassuring me that they would take things easy and thankfully they did. We started with a wee zip-line a few feet over the snow. Then we drove up to the ancient forest and I had to start by tacking suspension bridges and staircases. I was not happy. But you know what? I did it. I lived through the first one. Then I lived through the second one, which was twice as long. And I lived through two more! The DP loved it. He even went upside down on the last one, which was very impressive. Now that I’ve been zip-lining, I don’t ever need to go again. Truly.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh Tammy - please give snowshoeing another chance! It's such a lovely sport when the snow is fluffy and all is sparkling and sunny...

Related Posts with Thumbnails